Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Crap. Had internal scan 2 weeks ago, now need hysteroscopy on Monday.

(21 Posts)
SmileAndNod Fri 22-Apr-16 13:14:57

That means it's bad doesn't it. Gynae consultant wants me seen 'as soon as possible', and they've had a cancellation for Monday. Sure the ultrasound lady who did the internal scan said everything looked ok. I wasn't expecting another appointment tbh, so I'm feeling a bit shocked and crapping myself at what it could be. I'm imagining all sorts of things and dreading the worst scenario.

Apparently I'm going to have a local anaesthetic in my cervix (nice). Worried about the pain and going on my own. What should I expect? Could I take diazepam before hand?

All my smears have been ok till now, I was originally referred for post sex / random bleeding. I'm 43 so just thought it was my age. Dr Google is not helpful sad.

Idefix Fri 22-Apr-16 19:23:58

It is pretty standard to go on to a hysteroscopy for these types of investigation doesn't necessarily mean anything bad. I had one 2 yrs ago and nil was found and I was told my extremely heavy had me housebound periods had no sinister cause.
I had a general for my procedure so can really give any advice about the local, but diazepam sounds good.

KittyandTeal Fri 22-Apr-16 19:27:12

I was due to have one (and a laposcopy) to look at my endometriosis. That was diagnosed after random beeding mid cycle and post sex and increasingly more painful periods.

It doesn't necessarily mean it's something serious💐

5BlueHydrangea Fri 22-Apr-16 19:27:59

A hysteroscopy is a good way of seeing what's going on. If you are worried about the pain see if they will give you a general anaesthetic. I have had 2. First one under local. I found it very painful and made be a bit upset. Recently I had another and discussed it with my Consulant who recommended a general. I felt like a wimp but it was so much better! Felt really tired for a couple of days afterwards but if I needed another I would opt for the general again.

SmileAndNod Sat 23-Apr-16 07:33:29

I wasn't offered the option of a general. Our hospital isn't great at pain relief! I suppose at least they're not making me wait for an appointment. I have to be there an hour before my appointment, so they can get me ready (whatever that means). Will go armed with diazepam and see what I can manage.
Thanks for your advice

Marshy Sat 23-Apr-16 09:11:02

I've had 2 with only local. Tell them you're nervous. They gave me more local 2nd time and a lovely nurse held my hand and talked to me the while way through. It was manageable.
They found a benign polyp which had been causing my bleeding and removed it there and then. All good since.

SmileAndNod Sat 23-Apr-16 11:45:48

I've had a letter this morning. The scan showed a cystic area between the womb lining and wall which in unusual in appearance.

I'm worried it's something sinister. I suffer from anxiety and depression anyway and this isn't helping. It couldn't be anything other than cancer could itsad?

Marshy Sat 23-Apr-16 17:07:09

My benign polyp was also described as a cystic area on the scan report.
So yes....it could quite easily be something other than cancer. And even if it is, endometrial cancer is very treatable because symptoms tend to appear early as I found out from googling when I was where you are now.
You will be fine. Hugs

PollyPerky Sat 23-Apr-16 17:18:40

Another experience for you to think about.

You don't have to have the local anaesthetic. I had the procedure with nothing. If you don't fancy the injection, I'd make enquiries before your appt and see if they are happy to do it without.

I didn't find it at all painful. I had it done privately so the way we discussed it was try with nothing, injection if too painful, reschedule for GA if all else fails.

I would really try not to stress about it. Honestly! The scope is small and it doesn't hurt. Mine took ages because being post meno my cervix was tight and it took a while .

I am sure it's nothing- doesn't sound like cancer which is rare before 50 and you don't really have any of the symptoms like a thick uterine lining.

Good luck.

MyUsernameDoesntHaveNumbers Sat 23-Apr-16 17:22:40

Honestly my hysteroscopy was absolutely fine! Please don't worry about it. Was slightly uncomfortable but I didn't have any painkillers, it was certainly no more uncomfortable than a regular smear.
Fingers crossed nothing untoward shows up for you.

ARightOldPickle Sat 23-Apr-16 17:25:16

I had one under general a couple of years ago after a scan showed an area of thickened lining, I have a fibroid but all is well.

I was in a bit of a panic as two years before that my sister was diagnosed with endometrial cancer. But, as a pp has said, it is very treatable, and she received her all clear just before Christmas.

I'm sure you'll be fine!

SmileAndNod Sat 23-Apr-16 17:44:28

Thank you. I've spent all afternoon googling and worrying myself silly. I've had so much go on lately it's just another worry for the list!

The letter said to take some pain killers before hand and sometimes they don't even need to use a speculum. So I think I will go with a childbirth kind of attitude and see how I go and what I can cope with (not keen on internal things after horrible vb) and take in steps as you describe PollyPerky

Will keep my fingers crossed smile

Hirosleaftunnel Sun 24-Apr-16 11:03:34

flowers and good luck OP. I am also having one tomorrow but under GA as I am abroad and they don't do it under local here. I am also crapping myself as they saw a ovarian cyst on the scan but not sure what else as I can't speak the lingo here. Cervical smear came back clear but I have had worsening bleeding and discharge b/t periods for about a year. Sorry for TMI. I convinced myself it was bad but now I'm thinking it's probably just endo or something. Hope you get on ok. flowers

SmileAndNod Sun 24-Apr-16 13:00:33

Thank you, you too Hirosleaftunnel flowers. Let's hope it's something that can be easily fixed!

conkerpods Sun 24-Apr-16 17:53:57

I need to have this procedure. I think they offer sedation at my hospital,I will be accepting everything offered!!
Good luck with it all. I have bleeding between periods so am being investigated.

PollyPerky Sun 24-Apr-16 18:32:54

It's really not that bad conker. Try not to get uptight because that makes pain more likely if you anticipate it. In some hospitals they are - I think- not using a speculum as the light on the scope 'shows the way'. It's hardly any worse than a smear and just 'different'- you won't need sedation.

conkerpods Mon 25-Apr-16 09:43:30

Thanks Polly.

SmileAndNod Mon 25-Apr-16 12:30:23

I'm back. Even though I was terrified it was ok. Didn't need a local into the cervix, the doctor just used to light on the scope and some water.

There's a little sac of fluid that showed on the ultrasound, her first thought was I'm pregnant at which point I did nearly faint! but she thinks it's just a cyst. It's in an odd place though, so she needs to talk with the other consultants to work out whether to remove or leave it. She's inclined to leave it so it must be nothing to worry about.

Also had a spec exam afterwards but that was to make sure that the cervix was healing ok as she took some cells off with silver nitrate last time.

Thank you for the hand holdingflowers

ApocalypseSlough Mon 25-Apr-16 12:32:46

flowers
Fantastic news. Hope you can enjoy the rest of your day now. Any treats lined up or are you just going to enjoy the relief?

Idefix Mon 25-Apr-16 21:15:27

Glad it went well op smile

Marshy Mon 25-Apr-16 22:50:59

That's good news op - very pleased for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now