Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can we enlighten my mum?

(4 Posts)
tobee Mon 18-Apr-16 01:12:13

My mum has had 3 bouts of this now. G.P hasn't really helped. Her face sort of has a flare up reaction where the skin goes red and flaky. And very itchy. Often worse around her neck. It then seems to resolve itself into kind of raised moles/lumps after some days that then don't go away. We've wondered if the flare ups are brought on by stress, heat, something she's eaten, or something she's applied. She can't think of a common link. She finds it uncomfortable, unsightly and disturbs her sleep. GP did prescribe anti histamine which she felt didn't help but finds savlon soothing. Any ideas? Skin things are so hard to solve. She's 80 this year and has taken blood pressure meds of various kinds for about 40 years. The first bout was nearly 2 years ago. Tia.

gingeroots Mon 18-Apr-16 10:04:08

I think go back to GP and press her case ,explain antihistamines not helping ,stress that it's stopping her sleeping .A tired 80 year ols is a less stable 80 year old who might fall...

If GP can't help can he refer to dermatologist ?

Can you go with mum to GP ?

tobee Mon 18-Apr-16 15:55:39

Thanks for your reply. I've told my mum to make another appointment with her GP and to take photos of the reaction to show a dermatologist. She was happy for me to post on here but whether she will take the advice....older people "not liking to bother the doctor" a common syndrome!

gingeroots Mon 18-Apr-16 17:20:55

Tell her it's better - and cheaper for the NHS - to nip things in the bud rather than wait for them to get worse .

And disturbed sleep is a hazard .

Good luck .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now