Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Missed period

(5 Posts)
Dancergirl Thu 14-Apr-16 20:22:46

I stopped keeping track of my period dates a while ago as they are fairly regular. However I haven't had a period for about 2 months I think. Dh has had a vasectomy.

I did a pregnancy test about a week ago just in case, it was negative.

Why could this be? I'm 44 so I'm presuming it's too early for any menopause symptoms. Is it worth doing another pregnancy test?

PollyPerky Thu 14-Apr-16 20:32:27

Not that early- menopause can strike from 45-55 average being 52, so possible you are on the downward slide now. This could happen over many years- you could miss no more for ages, then another, then normal, then another one or two, etc etc.

Dancergirl Thu 14-Apr-16 20:41:30

Really?? Would I need to see a doctor to rule out anything more sinister?

PollyPerky Fri 15-Apr-16 08:00:51

Yes really.

What are you thinking of by 'more sinister'?

Cancer of the uterus, ovaries or cervix doesn't cause a missed period. In fact the opposite is the reason to see a dr- bleeding at odd times.

If you have missed 1 or even 2 periods at 44 there is no need to see a dr unless you have other symptoms where loss of periods is almost a 'side effect'. (eg anorexia, thyroid problems...)

If your periods do stop before 45 then yes you ought to see your GP because an early menopause is treated with HRT to prevent serious health issues- osteoporosis and heart disease- later on.

Dancergirl Fri 15-Apr-16 10:58:07

Thank you. There was a case of ovarian cancer in my family so I suppose I was worrying about that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now