Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Blood in urine, no infection, other symptoms ...

(8 Posts)
Lovemusic33 Tue 12-Apr-16 12:44:00

I have had problems on and off for 4 years, frequency to go to the loo, waking up in the night to go, stomach pain and back pain, all have been getting worse, I am now getting up 2-3 times in the night and have to plan going out around where public toilets are located. A few weeks ago the doctor found blood in my urine so gave me a cause of antibiotics (again), today tested again and blood still there so sample being sent off to lab, if no infection then they are booking me for a CT scan and then possibly a camera and biopsy ( sorry, not sure what it's called ).

I suffered with UTI's send kidney infections as a teen but this doesn't feel like infection.

I know I will have to wait weeks/months to get the answer, I am fed up of planning my life around toilet stops, fed up of the cramps and fed up of being fobbed of with 'oh it's a uti, here's some antibiotics'.

Anyone else experienced this? What did it turn out to be?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 12-Apr-16 12:48:28

I am at exactly the same stage as you are, blood in urine (+ leukocytes at this point) and am waiting for a scan. GP said yesterday if it were just blood then stones could be an explanation even with no pain. I have had blood since November, sometimes visible, sometimes not but always there.

Lovemusic33 Tue 12-Apr-16 12:57:25

It's frustrating.
I had a scan a few years ago due to the same symptoms, no stones were found and I gave up going to the GP only to be given antibiotics ( which made me feel ill ). Hopefully this time they will get to the bottom of it.

lozwil Wed 13-Apr-16 18:42:37

Snap I am almost at the same stage but I was referred to urology this week but told would take a while as I wasn't an emergency case I have had blood in urine not visible for last 3 months getting up for loo a few times in the night and pain in my lower back on one side so u have my sympathy it's a nightmare but my gp did say that it is unlikely to be serious x x x

TreeHuggerMum1 Thu 14-Apr-16 18:32:24

I am the same. Blood and protein in my urine for last God knows how many years. Following numerous tests and scans I was diagnosed with Loin Pain Haematuria Syndrome.
No cure or treatment except painkillers when it's sore.

nmg85 Fri 15-Apr-16 12:20:30

Could possibly be Interstitial Cystitis / Painful Bladder Syndrome. Not entirely sure why a CT scan would help as the usual path of this type of symptoms are ultrasound and then a cystoscopy which is where they put a camera into the bladder.Don't let them keep giving you antibiotics as it can make the condition worse, try and force a referral to the urologist to get the scans you need. I got a diagnosis pretty quickly although trying to find a treatment plan that helps at all has been a much longer process. If you want to chat then feel free to PM me, also check out the COB Foundation, it can be a scary prospect and some of the stories are terrifying but they have some really helpful information and you can order things such as a 'can't wait' card to help when there are no public toilets etc.

Lovemusic33 Fri 15-Apr-16 13:59:18

Apparently they don't do ultrasound for this anymore ( I did ask as this is what I had last time ), a cystoscopy was mentioned. I do suffer from cysts in my ovaries so I may be prone to them elsewhere?
I went into town this morning and had to quickly find a toilet, I hadn't even had a drink but had to go 3 times before I got to where I was going sad

nmg85 Fri 15-Apr-16 18:14:00

They do where I am from. It has nothing to do with any cysts it's an inflammation of the lining of the bladder. I know the feeling about needing to go often. My record is about 80 times in a day. Make sure you still drink as this can actually make it worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now