Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Migranes.

(23 Posts)
voodoolooloo Mon 11-Apr-16 16:46:31

Just looking for some reassurance please?
I've suffered with migraines ( with aura of fuzzing blobs and strange speech). For a couple of years.
I generally got one every 3 months of so. It's always been controlled with Migraleve.
Anyway, I had one a week for the last three weeks.
Migraleve relieves the headache ( which isn't too severe) but doesn't help with the visual stuff.
It really knocks me. I'm exhausted before hand and for a day or so after.
Is it worth a repeat docs app to try and find better medication? I'm aware of my triggers but I can't always avoid them ( halogen lights at work seem to be the worst thing)
I also suffer with health anxiety and fear it's something serious. ( I can't type what but I'm sure you can imagine.)
I haven't noticed any deterioration in my eye sight. I don't wear glasses and haven't had an eye test for around 6 years.
Any advice please? Similar stories? Reassurance?
Thank you thanks

voodoolooloo Mon 11-Apr-16 16:47:16

Apologies for typos!

voodoolooloo Tue 12-Apr-16 14:12:33

Anyone?

Euphemia Tue 12-Apr-16 16:09:17

Are you on any other meds?

derektheladyhamster Tue 12-Apr-16 16:11:49

There are different meds available, I'd pop along to your Dr to have a chat. Both my dh & DS suffer and are on different meds (DS has a preventative one as well)

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Tue 12-Apr-16 16:22:26

Yes, def go to GP. Sumatriptan has been amazing for my migraines, doesn't stop them but shortens & lessens the severity of the attack.
Also I take soluble aspirin & a can of (full fat, not diet) coke the sugar & caffeine help & the bubbles help it be absorbed

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Tue 12-Apr-16 16:22:36

Yes, def go to GP. Sumatriptan has been amazing for my migraines, doesn't stop them but shortens & lessens the severity of the attack.
Also I take soluble aspirin & a can of (full fat, not diet) coke the sugar & caffeine help & the bubbles help it be absorbed

Tokelau Tue 12-Apr-16 16:25:44

I have similar migraines, also caused by light and I take a naratriptan. Naramig works best for me. You will need a prescription for them. They don't stop the migraines but make them less painful and stop the sickness.

voodoolooloo Tue 12-Apr-16 20:13:30

Thank you all. I've got an app on Friday at the doctors.
I'm only on asthma medication ( no aspirin for me then?)
I always thought caffeine was a trigger? Thank you again

MimsyBorogroves Tue 12-Apr-16 20:22:51

Sumatriptan is great for mine too.

I'm also on daily topimirate as I get them a few times a week without daily meds.

voodoolooloo Tue 12-Apr-16 20:53:58

Thank you. I could hardly see when I typed my OP The spelling mistake in the title is driving me mad
I just hope my GP is on side and the offering of meds.
I can't carry on like this. I'm shattered for days afterwards.

TheFairyCaravan Wed 13-Apr-16 11:23:00

I suffer with migraines. I get around 15 a month. I've been taking 3 preventative drugs for over 5 years, have 2 sorts of Triptans, do the aspirin in coke trick (although I only put it in a tiny bit of coke because coke triggers my migraines). I've had 5 or 6 lots of Botox on the NHS and this afternoon am having trigger point injections in my head/face.

My pain consultant suggested I try acupuncture. He said I could have it done at the hospital but I'd need to pay. There's an acupuncturist in our village so I've been going to her, I've had 2 sessions so far (she thinks I'll need 4/5) and I,ve noticed a huge difference. I had my first migraine yesterday after not having one for 10 days. I haven't had a 10 day break from them for about 8 years. I'd really recommend you giving it a go.

PigletJohn Wed 13-Apr-16 11:45:04

I was on Sumatripran for years (the injections). They work great at relieving an attack but I was getting them quite frequently.

Then my GP retired and the new one put me on propranolol (sp?) which has almost entirely stopped them happening.. Bit sad that if I'd been on it sooner it would have saved me years of pain.

voodoolooloo Wed 13-Apr-16 11:57:20

Thank you. Glad you're both getting some relief now.
I've previously had acupuncture for recurrent headaches ( before my official migraine diagnosis). It works quite well. Sadly the GP was a locum with an interest in it who's since left.
I think sumatriptan will be what I'll be prescribed. It's thankfully not so much the pain just the visual stuff and the utter exhaustion afterwards.
Thank you.

ijustwannadance Wed 13-Apr-16 12:11:05

My visual migraines (wobbly vision) are never triggered by caffine. My triggers are bright lights, dehydration, tiredness and bad posture

Go get your eyes checked and if you do need glasses ask about tinted lenses. Mine have slight blue tint. Helps massively. You can even get frames with non prescription tinted lenses. A bit like wearing very pale sunglasses.

Turn brightness down on any devices/screens screens to less than 50% and take eye breaks often. In work I also struggle if going through lots of paperwork on white A4 with black printing. Cream paper is much better.

I also find if I drink a can of coke at start of attack it reduces it greatly.

voodoolooloo Wed 13-Apr-16 12:32:53

Thanks ijust that helps massively. Yup I'll be making an eye app as soon as I can.
I've been trying so hard to not look directly at the lights at work. It's a new shop fit. The previous one never affected me at all. It's impossible though unless I work with my eyes closed!
I'm off to google tinted specs. I've always had sensitive to light eyes. I need to wear sunglasses or my eyes just stream even on cloudy ish days. I wonder if it's connected?
Thank you.

ijustwannadance Wed 13-Apr-16 12:49:32

The tint in my glasses is very light so not noticable to others but makes all the difference. I prefered the blue tint but you can get brown. Also helps at nighttime or dark places which makes other lights more glary (if thats a wordconfused) like the cinema or driving at night.

I think sometimes I'm half vampire!

voodoolooloo Wed 13-Apr-16 13:23:38

I've been googling, it seems that only certain opticians offer the service though? Any advice on where to visit?.
Night time glare is awful for me. Our street lights have not long been changed from the old orange glow ones to a sinister cold halogen light.. Which again hurts my poor old eyes! The migraines don't always develop thank goodness. I just don't want this to be the beginning of them worsening.
Lol at the half vampire, sunshine is over rated grin

ijustwannadance Wed 13-Apr-16 14:25:45

Mine is an independant opticians rather than one of the chains. I didn't realise the tinting wasn't readily available sorry!
Do you have any local that you could pop in/ring and ask?

voodoolooloo Wed 13-Apr-16 14:41:05

Lovely. Thank you. Yes luckily we have a small independent very locally.
It's got a great reputation as well. I'm all set then. Docs first then an optician visit.
Hopefully it'll be sorted soon!

ijustwannadance Wed 13-Apr-16 14:57:55

Good luck!

voodoolooloo Wed 13-Apr-16 15:07:13

thanksthanks

fieldfare Wed 13-Apr-16 15:10:18

Go to the optician for an eye test.
Then if all is still fine, go to your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now