Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Underactive Thyroid

(2 Posts)
Ashleighberryx Mon 11-Apr-16 11:11:01

Hello all, I wonder If you can help me!

Recently I have been feeling groggy, tired, snappy and also put on weight. I went to the doctors and had blood tests done which came back as a borderline underactive thyroid. The doctor wants me to go back in a couple of months for more blood tests (im unsure why) confused. I am feeling really crap to be honest and want to push the doctor for medication but don't know how or what to say!

Please help me,

Thanks smile

Pleasemrstweedie Mon 11-Apr-16 11:18:07

This is pretty much standard practice to make sure that your results are not a one off. There are a number if things that can, for example, raise TSH on a temporary basis, and it would not be appropriate to treat in that situation.

When you go back, ask for a copy of the current results and the next ones and, if he’s checking thyroid, ask him to check vitamin B12, folate, vitamin D and ferritin as well. The symptoms of a deficiency in any of them can mimic hypothyroidism and, deficiencies are also common with hypothyroidism.

People on here, or on the ThyroidUK forum at www.healthunlocked.com will be happy to interpret your results for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now