Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Looking for some advice re constipation

(20 Posts)
FurryFox Sat 09-Apr-16 17:55:25

Hi. I haven't had a bowel movement for 9 days, I'm usually quite regular and go once a day. In the last nine days I've only felt the urge to go about three times but nothing coming out, the rest of the time I don't feel like I need to go.

Has anyone else had this and all been ok? I'm getting myself into a state that there must be something wrong as I've only been constipated a couple of times before and not for this long. I'm also concerned that I don't really feel like I need to go. I've not really had any pain, just the odd tummy ache.

My diet or anything hasn't changed in the last couple weeks either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I suffer from health anxiety and this is making it quite bad at the moment.

westcountrywoman Sat 09-Apr-16 18:08:09

Are you pregnant? As the sometimes slows things down. On holiday? Change of daily routine?

Get some prune juice and a bag of liquorice allsorts - they'll sort you out.

FurryFox Sat 09-Apr-16 18:10:15

No not pregnant, no holiday or change of routine.

Have been drinking prune juice today but only two small glasses, do you know how much I would need for it to do anything? I tried liquorice on Tuesday but they didn't do anything. Thank you for replying.

ggirl Sat 09-Apr-16 18:12:01

are u passing wind?

FurryFox Sat 09-Apr-16 18:13:26

Yes, not massive amounts, but I would say no more or less than I normally do.

dementedpixie Sat 09-Apr-16 18:15:25

Try lactulose, you can buy it at the chemist

ggirl Sat 09-Apr-16 18:16:05

movicol from pharmacy
magnesium hydroxide from pharmacy
bisacodyl also from pharmacy
worth going to speak to them there

FurryFox Sat 09-Apr-16 18:18:49

Thank you, I will try the pharmacy, I have tried senokot twice but again, it didn't help.

scotsgirl64 Sat 09-Apr-16 18:25:08

are you dehydrated?...coffee and dark chocolate can get things moving!

SmallLegsOrSmallEggs Sat 09-Apr-16 18:27:19

Or make a nice curry. But don't eat all of the above on the same day!!💥

FurryFox Sat 09-Apr-16 18:31:08

Don't think I'm dehydrated, have been drinking lots of water the last few days as I read that can help. Wasn't aware coffee could help, had actually thought that could make it worse.

Not a fan of curry but willing to try anything.

I wish I could just keep things in perspective but my health anxiety has all sorts running through my mind and I can't think straight, I've lost count of the amount of times I've cried the last few days just out of sheer panic.

Mishaps Sat 09-Apr-16 18:37:59

A glycerine suppository - you can get them at any chemist. I often have this problem and keep it at bay with lactulose and occasional use of suppository. Because I often have to use them I get some really good ones on Amazon - they come from the US in large tubs! They are better than the British ones which are floppy like a jelly torpedo, but the US ones (the brand is FLEET) are harder and like a cone - much easier to insert! The Brit ones are like trying to insert a wobbling jellyfish.

If senokot is not doing the trick (which it does for most people) and you have a backlog then the GP can prescribe you sodium picolax - guaranteed to do the trick! If it goes on too long then it might be worth seeing GP anyway so he can put a hand on your abdomen.

FurryFox Sat 09-Apr-16 18:59:11

Do you know if my anxiety could be causing me these issues and not be able to go?

Mysillydog Sat 09-Apr-16 19:39:39

I will second a suppository. Horrible idea to insert one but often does the trick within minutes. When I use one I get the urge to expel it within seconds but it does a better job at unplugging you if you try to keep it in for 10 minutes.

user7755 Sat 09-Apr-16 19:43:16

Coconut milk in a smoothie, every morning, lots of fruit and veg, lots of water and herbal tea - should get things going.

Hope you are OK soon, sounds horribly uncomfortable.

westcountrywoman Sat 09-Apr-16 22:34:07

Hmmm I'm surprised that a couple of glasses of prune juice hasn't done the trick. No harm in trying more though.

FurryFox Sat 09-Apr-16 22:41:54

I got some suppositories from the chemist and its helped a bit, I think there's still more to come but I certainly got some out.

woundedbutwalking Sat 09-Apr-16 23:05:19

I am quite the expert in constipation!! Prune juice is good, linseeds help but coconut water is the best... Tastes better than prune juice too!

FurryFox Sat 09-Apr-16 23:09:08

Thanks wounded, I'll see how I go the next couple of days and then may try some coconut water if I'm still struggling. This is all new to me so all advice very much appreciated smile.

Healthyme15 Tue 12-Apr-16 13:09:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now