Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

sorry gross tonsils picture warning- do not open if squeamish

(16 Posts)
hurtymouth Sat 09-Apr-16 17:37:47

Sorry this is totally gross picture, but just wondering if I need to go to GP. I had a temp of 39 last night, feeling terrible all day yesterday, today a bit better and temperature back to normal, but throat feels like a pair of golf balls. I've never had tonsillitis before and thought this just might be a virus that needs to run its course. However just seen these white spots on my tonsils -(see attached picture) do I need antibiotics and a trip to drs?

I have a random 100ml bottle of Amoxicillin 250mg/5ml that was prescribed the other week for DC as a precautionary measure, it was never needed and has never been used. I'm guessing I shouldn't be so stupid to even consider it....but thought I'd ask the question anyway because I'm not going to get an appointment until Monday now. What can I do until Monday to treat it in the meantime? Saltwater gargles?

rosieliveson1 Sat 09-Apr-16 17:39:03

They look terrible sad I think you should get some antibiotics prescribed as soon as you can flowers

TealLove Sat 09-Apr-16 17:41:06

You have bacterial tonsillitis and you need AB.

Undertheboredwalk Sat 09-Apr-16 17:43:30

I'd try and get to OOH dr, def looks like you need anti-b's. If you really can't see anyone before Monday, sat water gargles definitely. But it needs seeing asap I'd say.
If you're in pain I've always found with tonsillitis that dissolvable paracetamol gargled around them before swallowing is the most effective pain relief smile

Tiggeryoubastard Sat 09-Apr-16 17:49:45

Go to the doctor, ooh if

Tiggeryoubastard Sat 09-Apr-16 17:50:19

If you need to. Otherwise you'll be really ill by Monday.

hurtymouth Sat 09-Apr-16 17:51:55

Thank you so much everyone.

Oh bugger, ok will get to Dr on Monday and sort this out. Or should I do out of hours at the hospital, could it get worse if I don't go asap?

jimpam Sat 09-Apr-16 17:53:14

I would call ooh

hurtymouth Sat 09-Apr-16 17:53:31

Sorry tiggery Xposted. Trip to OOH for me then....thanks everyone.

jimpam Sat 09-Apr-16 17:54:02

Oops posted too soon. Call ooh, don't take anyone else's antibiotics or risk a slap on the wrist from your doctor. Hope you feel better soon!

gamerchick Sat 09-Apr-16 17:56:58

Christ you poor thing. You need to get that sorted asap.

westcountrywoman Sat 09-Apr-16 18:04:13

Def tonsillitis. Might be viral though so you don't necessarily need ABs. Don't take the kids stuff. You'll probably be on the mend by Mon but if not, see GP. Paracetamol wil help with temp and pain. Gargle with hot salty water and get some strong throat sweets - from behind the pharmacy counter, like these:

http://m.boots.com/h5/cathub?unCountry=uk&path=%2Fen%2FTyrozets-Throat-Lozenges-24-Lozengess_844972%2F

hurtymouth Sat 09-Apr-16 18:11:47

OOH just ringing out and then cut me off.....hmm. TBH I feel a bit better than I did yesterday and the thought of sitting in a hospital A&E waiting area (our local OOH) on a Saturday evening for hours on end with two bored kids (single mum with no helpful family closeby), will do my head in and make me feel far worse. I'll hold out with paracetamol until Monday, (if I can) . If not I'll take a trip up there tomorrow.

westcountrywoman Sat 09-Apr-16 22:36:01

DS gets bad tonsillitis quite regularly and GP no longer prescribes ABs for him. He's usually on the mend after 2-3 days so fingers crossed you'll feel better soon.

lougle Sat 09-Apr-16 22:48:54

Gargling with TCP (1 part TCP to 5 parts water *don't swallow*), dissolvable aspirin (900mg - can swallow) or corsodyl mouthwash (don't swallow) will help.

TroubleinDaFamily Sat 09-Apr-16 22:52:00

Go to the doctor. No ifs, no buts, no maybes, no I meant to.

Just go.

Trust me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now