Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Feel like I'm smelling smoke all the time.

(17 Posts)
Germgirl Thu 07-Apr-16 17:41:06

For about the last 4-6 weeks I've thought that there's a constant 'smoky' smell. At first I thought it was burnt toast, but when I'd 'smelt' it constantly for days I realised it wasn't. It's odd, like a 'hint' of smoke, not a strong smell, almost like a 'feeling' of smoke rather than an actual smell. But it's constant.
I don't smoke, neither does anyone around me. my sense of smell seems fine otherwise, there's just a constant 'undercurrent' of smoke.
Has anyone else experienced this?

FuzzyOwl Thu 07-Apr-16 17:42:38

I would speak to your GP. I can't remember what it is now, but there is something that needs to be checked out and a symptom is smelling smoke.

UmbongoUnchained Thu 07-Apr-16 17:42:43

Go and get checked out. I'm sure I've read somewhere about stroke and the smell of burnt toast..

nibblingfingernails Thu 07-Apr-16 17:46:26

I've had similar over the years and put it down to my sinuses.

Annarose2014 Thu 07-Apr-16 17:49:12

I had that constantly in my last pregnancy. It's an olfactory hallucination and is common in pregnancy though I don't remember what causes it.

Germgirl Thu 07-Apr-16 17:49:29

I'd read about the strike thing & was hoping it was nonsense sad
My nose feels fine, no sinus pain, nothing.
Suppose I'd better go to the doctors sad

Germgirl Thu 07-Apr-16 17:50:03

stroke !
I'm definitely not pregnant! smile

blackteaplease Thu 07-Apr-16 17:57:39

I usually get this with a sinus infection, it's worth a trip to the gp to check it out.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 07-Apr-16 18:16:47

You need to seek medical advice.

YourLeftElbow Thu 07-Apr-16 18:17:57

This was the first sign of pg for me!

redpriestandmozart Thu 07-Apr-16 18:25:38

Have you bought any cheap tennis balls lately? Honestly this happened to me last year, I bought 3 cheap (from pound store type) for the dog but hid them in a drawer in the hall table. For weeks I was going round complaining of a smokie smell, eventually realised it was the rubber of the balls.

Long shot I know.

Germgirl Sat 09-Apr-16 13:37:52

No tennis balls grin
I'll mention it to my GP.
It's still there today!

Handsup Sat 09-Apr-16 14:06:19

I usually get this before my period however my sinuses are normally flaring simultaneously.

Soapmaker34 Sat 09-Apr-16 15:50:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SecretWitch Sat 09-Apr-16 15:54:43

Smelling smoke, like cigar or cigarette is an indication to me that I am going to experience a seizure.

Germgirl Sun 10-Apr-16 20:15:20

im going to try to get a GP appointment this week, the 'smell' is still there, I'm a bit worried about the stroke thing.
I'm on BP medication but I don't think it's working completely, I have a terrible family history of strokes and related things. I'd rather get it checked out.

nibblingfingernails Mon 11-Apr-16 09:55:24

Let us know what the Dr says - hope you get to the bottom of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now