Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fungal toenails - really bad

(2 Posts)
EmGee Thu 07-Apr-16 13:47:01

I have two very badly affected toenails. And I reckon they've been infected for years. First noticed it around 2003!! I had the nails analysed in a laboratoire and it was confirmed it was a fungal infection. Was prescribed that strong oral medication you take for six months (Lamisil?) but had to stop it as it made me palms itch so much. Plus I was TTC at the time.

Have also used PurNail (a fungal cleanse lotion I got from the US). This worked quite well but it never completely cleared it although I suspect it was because I didn't fully follow the instructions (put it on twice a day, every day).

Have decided I must do something about it as both nails just look awful - thick, distorted, yellow. Yuck.

I also get an itchy sole (the same foot as the nails) - it's like there are small spots under the skin. Other than that, you can't see anything. But it itches like hell!! I have some Daktarin cream at the moment.

For those similarly afflicted, any other ideas? I don't think tea tree will cut it - I remember a podiatrist telling me it was good for preventing it but not curing it.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 07-Apr-16 21:31:30

There's another tablet now, not griseofulvin. Sporanox or something.

I'd go back to the GP, they'll probably want more clippings though before they prescribe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now