Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

confused and worried by results

(8 Posts)
Runraggedmum Thu 07-Apr-16 08:03:54

hello im new to mumsnet so i will try not to moan too much.
A couple of weeks ago i went to my GP as i had not had a period since november last year, before that they were every 2-3 month since the birth of my daughter 18 month ago. Add to absent periods other symptoms i have e.g hair on stomach and bottom of back, discharge on & off, pain/ache in right side/hip area, hairy legs and big toes that can rival my partners at time, black wirey hairs on chin that i love to pluck and bad skin i just assumed from what i read that it could be PCOS.
Doctor ran some bloods to check for PCOS as said it is likely to be that. I phoned a week later for the results to be told they were all in normal range so it is not PCOS and the other thing she could think of is early menopause (im 29) but my bloods didnt suggest that either. I have been referred to an endocrinologist on the 12th May to get some answers
I guess what i am wanting to know is has anybody had anything similar and been diagnosed? I did the worst thing and googled which of course pointed me to ovarian cancer which has worried me confused
The pain in my hip can often radiate down my leg and is getting worse. Just hate not having answers and feeling so crap

Boltonlass1972 Thu 07-Apr-16 08:13:26

hugs. It's difficult when you have a health scare and are in the process of finding out the answer. My first reassurance is that if your bloods were normal, that's a good thing because if it were cancer there may have been some abnormalities. Second recommendation..Go straight back to your GP for further reassurance and tell them your fears. I understand it can feel like a long wait until your referral appointment. I'm not medically qualified so won't speculate, but even stress can mess up your periods and the pain down your leg may be unconnected. Be assured of a hand hold here but leave the thread if posters start making diagnoses for you which can be unhelpful. X

Runraggedmum Thu 07-Apr-16 09:02:05

Thanks for replying smile the rational part of my brain is saying it could be many things but overthinking isn't helping things, you end up looking for the worst then. Its 5 weeks till i see the consultant but think i will try get to the gp again for the pain if nothing else.

NanaNina Sat 09-Apr-16 18:37:05

The hairiness sounds a bit odd - did they appear gradually - it certainly sounds like POCS. The pain in your hip could be bursitis (I have it at the moment and it's incredibly painful) We have bursas in our knees, hips and elbows and they act like shock absorbers and when they become inflamed they become painful. I can barely walk just now but it's my own fault as I've had the pain for months and put off going to the GP. Thing is I think it can only be detected by an MRI and most GPs are reluctant to refer because of the cost. My GP is lovely and sent me for an MRI and I'm waiting to have a cortisone injection. I would see your GP again as she/he would probably prescribe anti-inflammatories. I can't take them as they clash with other meds I'm taking.

But what I really wanted to say your symptoms sound nothing like ovarian cancer. My friend died of that some 15 years ago and I know all the symptoms, and you don't have any of them. Dr Google is not your friend!!

Runraggedmum Wed 20-Apr-16 13:15:01

Just to update, had my ultrasound today both abdominal and internal. I have had alot more pain the past two week and tmi 2 nights ago during intercourse, had the sensation of something been bumped inside and have been spotting since, even after the internal today.
The sonographer didnt give much away but did say i have a cyst on my right side that is bleeding into itself a little and just to make an appointment with my GP next week to discuss this. I dont know whether to be worried or not

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 20-Apr-16 13:57:47

Did you make an appointment with the GP; you should be referred to a gynaecologist. This whole type of issue anyway is well outside a GPs general remit.

What hormone levels were looked at and on which cycle day?. Testing the wrong hormone levels on the wrong cycle day makes the test result meaningless and your symptoms apart from the pain (PCOS is a painless condition) do point to PCOS. Physical problems can cause periods to become irregular and or cease.

Pain in hip radiating down leg could well be indicative of endometriosis (endo can affect the sciatic nerve). Deep pain during sex is very indicative of endometriosis being present and not all GPs by any means recognise its symptoms or even think of endo being a possible cause. Endometriosis is usually diagnosed through a keyhole surgery op called a laparoscopy.

Would suggest you keep a daily pain and symptom diary and note pain on a scale from 1-10.

Runraggedmum Wed 20-Apr-16 15:17:51

Hi, i have to phone and make an appointment tomorrow for next week. The gp did refer me to an endocrinologist when my hormone levels came back normal, i have an appt on the 12th may but other then the ultrasound today and been told i have a cyst i dont have any other information or clues. She did ask if i have pain to which i said yes but again she just went on with the scan in silence.
I will definately mention a referal to my gp

Runraggedmum Wed 27-Apr-16 15:02:51

Results
Went to my GP this morning for my ultrasound results and was told i had 4cm complex cyst so both fluid and solid :-/ he has made a referal to a gynaecologist as i am having symptoms like pain/spotting (bloody/brown discharge) so we can look and see what happens from there.
The doc didnt seem overly concerned and said he doesnt think it is sinister but you can never say for sure.
So now back to waiting and worrying sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now