Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

rectal bleeding - now rectal pain

(31 Posts)
Castasunder Wed 06-Apr-16 14:26:30

Sorry I can't find my original thread but a few weeks ago I posted on here about an isolated incident of rectal bleeding. I was worried sick but on advice went to the doctor and he examined me (so embarrassing!) and found nothing. I was so relived and there has been no more blood after that one weekend of it. Phew!

Trouble is though, I've now started with a throbbing pain in the same area. It's making me anxious as I'm due to go on holiday tomorrow. It really hurts but isn't constant. I see no obvious lumps or anything like that. What could it be?

Drinksforeveryone Wed 06-Apr-16 15:36:04

Does it hurt when you go to the loo?

Could be a fissure? I had one for a while and it hurt like hell when having a poo - fresh (bright red ) blood in the toilet and on the paper afterwards. It hurt for some time afterwards too.

Google it and see if your symptoms match.

Castasunder Wed 06-Apr-16 15:51:20

Thank you. It doesn't hurt to poo- no

Castasunder Wed 06-Apr-16 20:23:41

It's just an intermittent throbbing pain

Castasunder Fri 08-Apr-16 18:07:16

Would anyone else have an idea what this is? Is there a chance he doc missed something? In worried about cancer

Minime85 Fri 08-Apr-16 20:24:21

Could be a fissure. Maybe piles? Have you got a skin tag there at all? Think you need to go back and see doctor again. Not in a hurry necessarily but when you get back from your holiday.

hownottofuckup Fri 08-Apr-16 20:25:31

Red bright blood or dark?

Flufflepuff Fri 08-Apr-16 20:28:00

Bright red and sore is likely to be a fissure or a teeny tiny cut which can be aggravated after going to the loo and then look like there's nothing there. Embarrassing but fairly normal occurrence I think (or at least I've had them before - especially around certain times of the month for some reason...)

Flufflepuff Fri 08-Apr-16 20:28:41

(And I mean I've had the pain without the bleeding too)

Castasunder Fri 08-Apr-16 21:42:17

Doctor said he couldn't feel anything but did say it could be an internal pile. However he said they don't hurt- and yet I've developed pain since then. It's a full throbbing ache, and a feeling of intermittent 'fullness' . I've got no trouble going to the loo or anything, it's just the time in between where it hurts.
The blood was bright red.

Castasunder Fri 08-Apr-16 21:43:26

By the way- yeah I think I have what looks like a tiny tag there. I can't really tell as it's hard to get a good angle to look at it but it does sometimes look as though there is a tiny tiny tag.

Castasunder Sat 09-Apr-16 00:04:36

I'm already on holiday and it hurts. I'm getting myself into a panic thinking it's going to get worse

sadie9 Sat 09-Apr-16 00:16:18

Have you tried the suppositories for piles? I would give them a go and see if that helps. Or the piles cream Anusol or whatever.
It could be a pile, which is like a varicose vein. That would explain the throbbing sensation. Or you could have had an internal pile which the doc moved about a bit that time during the exam and kind of aggravated it.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 09-Apr-16 00:38:55

Javelin arse. Nowt to worry about.

Castasunder Sat 09-Apr-16 01:14:30

Thanks Sadie. Will try that first.
As for 'javelin arse'. Really grown up. Thanks

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 09-Apr-16 01:29:44

Oh bless your tiny socks. Javelin arse is a well known MN phenomenon that afflicts many women and is linked to mentrual cycle.
I'm really very grown up and experienced in the horror of blood in the loo for serious reasons but I used to get javelin arse.
Thanks.

Hatefeelingdown Sat 09-Apr-16 01:30:37

Giddy is referring to something called javelin arse here on MN, which is basically a pain in your rectum. Quite a few people have it.

MyKingdomForBrie Sat 09-Apr-16 01:30:41

OP Google javelin arse - it sounds stupid but the pp was trying to help, it's a term for random stabbing pains in that area.

MyKingdomForBrie Sat 09-Apr-16 01:30:57

Oops X posts!

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 09-Apr-16 01:32:16

smile Thank you MNers

Castasunder Sat 09-Apr-16 01:38:27

Sorry Giddy. I thought you were joking, I really haven't heard of it.
Have been experiencing it outside of my cycle though so don't think it's that ( use to get that sensation in my teens and 20's)

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 09-Apr-16 01:56:10

No problem. smile
It was cycle and wind related for me. But wasn't actually anything apart from fecking painful. When I went into labour I had an extreme version of it and apparently bowel problems in women do vary with their cycle.
I genuinely wouldn't worry about pains there. It could be cramp, wind, a large 'episode' or your cycle. My colitis occasionally gives me pains there and higher up but it's accompanied by profuse bleeding about 12hours later with other symptoms too.

Castasunder Sat 09-Apr-16 02:06:26

Thank you. I have anxiety and tend to dwell on things but what you've said helps. I think blood coupled with pain has just had me thinking the worst

Minime85 Sat 09-Apr-16 09:12:05

Agree to try piles remedies first. Look at your diet and make sure you are eating right foods to keep stools soft as that would aggravate piles and fissures. Drink lots of fluid too. If you can't see tag I shouldn't think it's that but it could be an external pile which could be part of the problem. I wouldn't worry too much at all and enjoy your holiday. I had to go back about 6 times to get referred to a consultant to finally get right diagnosis so as much as I know it's embarrassing do go back if it doesn't improve.and mine was a large skin tag all but last GP said wasn't doing anything but consultant said was so big was pulled the internal out! So had it removed. confused

Castasunder Sat 09-Apr-16 10:11:47

Thank you, will pick something up today from chemist and see how I go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now