Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Talk to me about how to improve my pms and period pains

(18 Posts)
LemonBreeland Wed 06-Apr-16 10:02:38

I read a thread a couple of weeks ago on here and it mentioned things you can take to help with pms. I have horrendous pms and my cycle is about 6 weeks long, which means my pms can last for 2 weeks before I get my period. On top of that for the last year or so I get incredibly sore breasts before my period. Kind of like early pregnancy tenderness but a million times worse. If one of my DC hugs me it hurts, If I brush past something it hurts.

I am willing to try anything at this stage as it is frankly horrible.

Voteforpedr0 Wed 06-Apr-16 10:05:22

I've heard taking ibuprofen during the worst of it helps also oil evening primrose supplements oh and doing the bare minimum while it's happening (no extra housework, meeting up with people you don't have to )

LemonBreeland Wed 06-Apr-16 10:37:29

Thanks Vote. It is really getting me down. I hate that I seem to constantly be annoyed with DH and the DC over nothing. I may try ibuprofen for the breast pain, but I can't take it fro 2 weeks solid.

I will try evening primrose oil.

JapanNextYear Wed 06-Apr-16 10:40:08

Agnus castus helps me. Keeps my moods more stable, as does eating properly - so veg and protein not just having the huge carb fest my body usually craves.

Have you been to the GP? Going back on the pill eventually helped me - but it took a while to find the right pill.

JapanNextYear Wed 06-Apr-16 10:40:30

I'm now perimenopausal which brought its own issues....

LemonBreeland Wed 06-Apr-16 10:53:48

Thanks Japan. I'm knid of loathe to go on the pill as I know it could take a while to find the right one. The GP just pushes mirena too, which I don't want for various reasons.

I think I may be possbiel perimenopausal too. Although I'm only 38, but all of the women on the maternal side of my family have gone through menopause before 40.

FreeButtonBee Wed 06-Apr-16 10:55:32

This might be a bridge too far for you but many women have said a mooncup has reduced their period pains. I certainly found that to be the case. Something to do with just collecting the natural flow rather than sucking out the moisture/blood. Worth a. Try? I love my mooncup

JapanNextYear Wed 06-Apr-16 11:08:20

I'd have snatched GPs hand off for HRT at 38 when I started, took another 6 years to get HRT, which affected my mood then on to Qlaira a pill that seem (with the Agnus Castus) to have really helped. It did take some time - but I'm so glad I was persistent.

There are other benefits to the pill if you are going through perimenopause - to do with oestrogen. But I know the progesterone in the pill really made me go loopy.

Exercise is supposed to help too.

LemonBreeland Wed 06-Apr-16 11:14:55

The progesterone is my problem too. I had the implant inad it gave me migraines, one of my reasons for not wanting mirena. MAybe it would be worth me going to the gp again.

Bichonsrock Wed 06-Apr-16 11:46:25

I would recommend a book called the period repair manual by Lara briden. It helped me a lot to understand what was going on with my cycle and offers some help for fixing issues.
Giving up dairy was the one thing that helped me, no pms and shorter periods.

LemonBreeland Wed 06-Apr-16 11:56:30

Thanks Bichonsrock that sounds interesting.

Branleuse Wed 06-Apr-16 12:00:36

agnus castus x

Realitea Wed 06-Apr-16 17:13:33

Agnus castus is a strong supplement which is supposed to be good for this but I haven't tried it yet..I've started st johns wort! I know it can't be taken by everyone but it really has helped. Evening primrose oil too is supposed to be good. Ibuprofen really helps too.
There's a new pill out which can balance hormones, it's got a very low dose of hormone in it so, fewer side effects. It's called Eloine. I'm quite tempted myself.
Mirena is pushed a lot by doctors but the progestrone can be a real problem. Sounds like you need something to stabilise hormones instead.
Maybe try some herbal stuff first.

MadauntofA Wed 06-Apr-16 17:27:56

Changing to a2 milk/ goats milk or not dairy milks and goats milk yoghurt, stopping all cheese and other dairy sorted out my bowels and great side effect - my 2week long heavy painful periods with sore breasts changed to 5 days light, no breast swelling. Didn't realise why, but then read something about a2 being advised for women with endometriosis.

LemonBreeland Wed 06-Apr-16 18:10:32

Lots of votes for agnus castus

BrendasGotABaby Wed 06-Apr-16 18:20:02

I've had period pain and bad PMT for many years. Diet changes, exercise etc haven't ever really helped me, I'm afraid.

I had mild success with high dose evening primrose il (took about two cycle to kick in), but ultimately for me PMT was causing me quite a lot of emotional distress and am now on a low dose of Prozac. So far so good.

I'd def try the EP oil though.

MissWimpyDimple Wed 06-Apr-16 18:32:36

I get severe period pain and the only thing that has helped is mefanemic acid. It makes a huge difference. Sometimes goes by the brand name Ponstan.

Ask your GP for that.

boldlygoingsomewhere Wed 06-Apr-16 18:38:35

I used to get terrible cramps and PMS which pretty much disappeared when I started to use cloth sanitary pads. My periods also got much lighter. No idea why this would be but I'm very pleased.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now