Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

reflux

(5 Posts)
iamworkingonit Mon 04-Apr-16 22:29:32

Can anybody help, I have received a vague sort if diagnosis of GERD, Anybody help me with what helps to alleviate it (not medicine). I am slim, do a lot of exercise. My diet is ok-lots fruit, and vegetables. probably
too much milk coffee.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 04-Apr-16 22:34:45

Bicarb mixed in lemon juice eases the immediate symptoms. After that its just a process of elimination to see if any foods affect you. Cutting down on milk would help. And prop your bed up at the head if you suffer overnight

Can I ask why not medication though? I've found Omeprazole a god send when mine is bad

iamworkingonit Tue 05-Apr-16 06:40:45

I read an article in The Times that long term use has been linked to dementia.

lalamumto3 Tue 05-Apr-16 06:52:02

I have found porridge, banana and plenty of veg helpful. Also take Omeprazole.
I have cut out alcohol and chocolate. Find chicken and fish easier to digest and tend to find having vegetable soup really helpful.

iamworkingonit Tue 05-Apr-16 08:22:47

Thank you. As I said I am reluctant to take Omeprazole. I am a vegetarian so am afraid chicken, fish doesn't apply but I do find chocolate (which I love) does seem to coincide with reflux. I do have plenty of vegetables and porridge. I am going to go to the doctor to discuss it further as it has got worse recently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now