Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Type 1 diabetic - chicken pox please please any advice??

(2 Posts)
SweetElizaRose Sat 02-Apr-16 01:50:05

I have been in close contact with chicken pox and I am not immune.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to catch it. I'm a type 1 diabetic and so anything viral always messes my sugars up too.
I know antivirals can be given if caught early enough but when I asked the GP about it they said they wouldn't give them unless I was really ill but surely it would be too late then?
Does anyone know the guidelines? I'm really worried about this. I would have had the vaccine but we were ttc for a long time before I eventually fell pregnant and you can't have it whilst ttc. I'm now breastfeeding.
I have also read that if you have the vaccine soon after exposure it can prevent it? I was exposed yesterday so don't know whether to try and find somewhere that will give it. I also don't know if I can have it whilst breastfeeding. Some websites say yes and some say no. Similarly I don't know if I can take antivirals whilst breastfeeding.

Any advice would be gratefully received. I'm terrified. I'm convinced I'm going to die and leave my children without a mother.

foragogo Sat 02-Apr-16 08:34:33

you need to go and see you perinatal mental health team for advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now