Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do you take statins?

(3 Posts)
Pleasemrstweedie Thu 31-Mar-16 19:54:32

I went to see my GP on Tuesday about something else entirely and he started banging on about my having a 10.2% risk of having a heart attack in the next ten years. He's sent me off to get my cholesterol tested, but he reckons I need statins.

He was working off the info he had on file for me. I told him I stopped smoking five years ago and have lost nearly three stone, but he didn't listen.

I've done the assessment myself using the QRisk tool which is online and I think my risk is 6.1%. However, my total cholesterol was 6.2 two years ago.

There seems to be so much controversy about statins. Does anyone have any advice for me? I suspect I will get the hard sell when I speak to him tomorrow.

Pleasemrstweedie Fri 01-Apr-16 09:10:47

bump

allypally999 Sat 02-Apr-16 13:59:10

I used to get the hard sell on this too and gave in and took them for a while before I rebelled. If you Google it you will find as many docs against it as for it. My reading is over 6 sometimes 7 too but I don't get it tested anymore. GPs final remark was "well if you aren't going to do anything about it, not much point in testing it" ha! As far as I can gather from research (which I did quite a bit of) it might add a few weeks to your life ... unless you have a heart condition or it runs in the family but if its just the cholesterol then not much use IMO. Research it yourself and make up your own mind grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now