Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mammograms under the age of 50

(20 Posts)
Drinksforeveryone Thu 31-Mar-16 17:30:44

I received an invitation to attend for a mammogram.

I am only (just) 48.

The letter did state that it has always been for women over 50 - but they are trialling it in younger women (from 47).

Is it worth it? Whilst my boobs aren't super pert they are quite full - I always thought that the reason it was for older women was that the breast tissue was less dense and easier to xray ?

Will it hurt?

I don't much enjoy any medical stuff - my recent smear test was 2 years overdue as I kept putting it off.

CotswoldStrife Thu 31-Mar-16 17:33:16

I was also called early, didn't find it painful but they did find a harmless cyst. The follow up was really good (if a little alarming as I hadn't felt a thing!).

It's up to you really.

Drinksforeveryone Thu 31-Mar-16 17:36:24

Thanks for prompt response there Cotswold

Hmmm will have a think for a while. The date of the appt is end of April, so have a bit of time.

Marshy Fri 01-Apr-16 23:01:46

I had a problem which was undetectable just by feeling but was picked up on routine mammo. Early detection of issues means better outcomes. Why would you not have it?
I'm all clear now. My story could have been very different.

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meGoes Fri 01-Apr-16 23:05:36

I had it at just turned 48 too. I was really pleasednot to have to wait till I was 50. A bit uncomfy but very straightforward.

Jinglebells99 Fri 01-Apr-16 23:09:43

I was invited to have one as part of an early screening for younger women too. I had one done last year when I was 47. Mine was clear and I was glad I'd had it. It was in an outside van thing, changing room was a bit claustrophobic but the mammogram ladies were kind. It was more uncomfortable than I'd expected but maybe it depends where you are in your menstral cycle? Maybe that isn't an issue for older women who've already gone through the menopause.

TresDesolee Fri 01-Apr-16 23:12:10

My mum told me it was eyewateringly painful if you have firmer/fuller breasts.

Not trying to scare you off OP - this would have been a few decades ago and obviously there are serious potential benefits to having it done - just would be glad to be told it's no longer true!

Marshy Fri 01-Apr-16 23:57:16

It really isn't that painful although the perception of pain is very individual of course. I went through far more emotional pain discovering that I had early breast cancer and far less pain than I would have had if it had been more advanced when it was discovered on the routine mammo.
Do it.

lljkk Sat 02-Apr-16 00:02:40

Similar recent thread. I think women in the USA are offered mmgrms from ... age 45? Lot younger than UK, anyway. I am in the group that prefer to delay. Some people find them reassuring, though.

DramaAlpaca Sat 02-Apr-16 00:05:00

I had my first one aged 48 and another one recently. I do find them quite painful, tbh, but worth getting done.

salsamad Sat 02-Apr-16 00:12:04

I had my first one at 47. I'm 32 F and it is very uncomfortable having larger boobs squeezed flat but it's necessary. A lovely friend of mine had the early screening last year and a fast growing cancer was detected before a lump had become noticeable - my friend is recovering well now following treatment but her story would have been very different without her early mammogram.

Papergirl1968 Sat 02-Apr-16 00:18:57

Had mine at 46, nearly 47. I'm rather...er...well-endowed and there was a bit of manhandling to get them in the right position but it was uncomfortable rather than painful. Like having your boobs squashed or clamped tight between two plates. But it is quick. Think they felt a bit sore for a few hours but not bruised or anything. I hate medical stuff too but glad I had it.

scotsgirl64 Sat 02-Apr-16 00:26:10

Takes less than 10 mins.....younger boobs are harder to visualise and sometimes women end up being ' overtreated'.....may be worth it for peace of mind

PollyPerky Sat 02-Apr-16 08:44:02

Breast screening starts at 50- so you aren't that 'young' - it's being rolled out to younger women now. I think in France they start at 40. Also women's breasts don't always deflate once they are older. I don't think size makes any difference! I am a small 30D and it hurts for a few seconds yes, but so what? All over quickly and reassurance. I've had about 4 now, one every couple of years privately, and I think it's worth it. If you feel you are being pushed into treatment through over diagnosis, where treatment may not be necessary, then you can of course refuse that treatment.

Squeegle Sat 02-Apr-16 08:44:11

Of course you should go. its really fine

SanityClause Sat 02-Apr-16 08:48:52

I was called last year. I am 47.

It did hurt a bit, I have to say, but I'm sure it's better than treatment for advanced breast cancer.

The upside is that you won't be called for a smear as often. (5 years, I think?)

PollyPerky Sat 02-Apr-16 08:58:37

No- smears are every 3 years for women still in their late 40s now. I am older and it's every 5 years but my gynaecologist likes to do them every 2-3 years and I've always paid for smears more often than every 5 years. Known too many friends who had Cn3 changes picked up and if they'd waited 5 years would have been in serious trouble.

Ledkr Sat 02-Apr-16 09:00:35

I had Breast cancer at 26. It was not visible on a mammo as I was so young.
All the stories above of early detection woukd make me want to go abd have it done if I was you.

mumto2andnomore Sat 02-Apr-16 09:01:00

I had breast cancer at 41, no family history. A mammogram would have found it much earlier, wish they started at 40. Please go for yours.

Drinksforeveryone Sat 02-Apr-16 12:05:20

Thanks for all replies and advice.

I will attend for my appointment. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Just hope it's not in my super-tender-boobs PMT week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now