Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cracked hands and feet - doctors are baffled. Any suggestions?

(6 Posts)
chipmunks92 Wed 30-Mar-16 21:24:07

I have a skin problem which no-one seems able to diagnose.

I have a family history of eczema though mine faded at age 8. I'm now 35 and am having terrible skin problems which I'll describe below:

Sometimes the ball of my thumb or my heel would crack. This would be painful and deep but would heal naturally or with the help of Flexitol foot cream. However, over the past year the problem has worsened drastically. The cracks are on both feet (soles and heels) and on both hands (fingers and thumbs). Nothing will heal the cracks and there is also general redness and itching. It is currently so painful I cannot place my feet squarely on the ground.

A podiatrist said it was a fungal infection but her recommended treatments failed. My GP gave me various topical and oral steroid treatments plus high-strength antihistimaines. They've had no effect. I've been to a Drmatologist who suggested Phototherapy. This hasn't helped either.

I got a dog six months ago, but am not allergic to dogs and my GP agrees this does not seem to be an allergic reaction.

Also, I began working from home two years ago and often suffer panic attacks which means I rarely leave the house except for short walks with the dog. Could this be a contributing factor? Could it be as simple as lack of sunlight?

Please help me. I'm absolutely desperate.

MarkRuffaloCrumble Wed 30-Mar-16 22:24:26

I wonder if a vitamin D deficiency could contribute? I have underactive thyroid and my feet and thumbs are always cracked and sore. Are there any other symptoms you could link to this?

TheSpottedZebra Wed 30-Mar-16 22:27:35

Extreme chilblains?

Can you post a pic?

redannie118 Thu 31-Mar-16 10:09:58

Have you had bloods done? Could well be thyroid/auto immune / vitamin or iron related and yes to the pics please

Zadocthepriest Thu 31-Mar-16 12:00:49

Working backwards, I have cracking skin on my finger tips due to chemotherapy. I have been prescribed vitamin B6 which has helped.So some connection with vitamins?

Lifebeginsat41 Thu 31-Mar-16 14:11:00

What shoes do you wear and do you wear socks with them. If it is fungal and you are wearing the same shoes without socks then the spores are just going to return to your feet. I was also told to use an anti-fungal cream et canasten and to drink water. HTH's with your feet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now