Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fluey virus feel rubbish. Anyone else?

(19 Posts)
teacher54321 Wed 30-Mar-16 18:02:32

Broke up from school at the end of last week, had a nasty temperature and horrid sore throat over the weekend, and was lemsiped up throughout. Feel generally better than I did, but have waves of feeling absolutely dreadful, weak, feverish, achy and the sore throat comes back. It's been nearly a week. Anyone else?

sunnydayinmay Wed 30-Mar-16 18:12:14

Everyone's had it round here. I was chatting with a doctor friend last night, and she says they are thinking it is a flu strain that wasn't picked up or or has mutated since the flu jab was developed. The children see okay, it is just the adults who are rough with it.

It took two weeks to shift in my case, and I still gave a cough. Seems to be a sinus thing, rather than a chest thing.

BIWI Wed 30-Mar-16 18:14:12

I'm just coming to the end of something that sounds similar. Horrible, horrible sore throat - couldn't even swallow my own saliva at one point - sore ears, and nasty, chesty cough. Temperature and general aches and pains.

Got an emergency OOH GP appointment; throat is a viral infection and chest is a bacterial infection.

It's been a week now, and I'm only just feeling normal.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 30-Mar-16 18:17:10

Awful isn't it? I'm week 3 into it and slowly feeling brighter. DH and DD got it too, but it sees to have missed DS thankfully. I've heard the same as sunnyday that a flu bug mutated after this years flu jab was developed. If I hear "I'm glad I had the flu jab or this would be a lot worse" I think I might scream. How they think being innocculated against one strain make a different strain affect you less I don't know

MinnieMalloy Wed 30-Mar-16 18:20:30

I've had it for the whole of March pretty much.

A week of feeling exhausted, achy, sore throat, hot/cold/hot at night...but struggled into work.
A week of being unable to get out of bed or eat much - with temperature, shivers, aches, headache, nausea etc (but sore throat went away at least!).
A week of feeling well enough to return to work (just about), but still unwell, knackered and totally congested, sneezy and snotty.
This week the congestion is lifting and I feel a bit better, but I have developed a cough and so am not sleeping well at night. Grrrr.

Fun and games grin. Hope you feel better soon flowers

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Wed 30-Mar-16 18:20:46

I think I've got this too. No sore throat but definite feverish/achy/snotty horribleness. Since Saturday morning. Praying I'll be well enough to work on Friday.

DoreenLethal Wed 30-Mar-16 18:21:46

I had it Jan/Feb and felt ill last week, managed to head it off but not after feeling totally pathetic for 4 days. Getting back to normal now though.

MashesToPashes Wed 30-Mar-16 18:27:34

Just to cheer you all up, if it's what I've had it's a boomerang virus. Felt much better for a couple of days and then bam. Sore throat, knackered, feeverish, stuffed ears all over again, (probably a separate virus, but misery loves company).

shggg245 Wed 30-Mar-16 18:39:29

My ds 11 has it. Very high temp with blinding headache and dizziness. He also complained of aches but the painful throat came later.

Initially I was concerned about meningitis as he was seeing things / delirious with headache / fever so I got emergency doc out who said it's def influenza.

Unfortunately people say they've got flu when they've actually got a heavy cold.
Poor little might hasn't moved out of bed for three days. It's horrid! sad

shggg245 Wed 30-Mar-16 18:41:09

mite ^^

Badders123 Wed 30-Mar-16 18:53:52

Yep
Have been ill for the whole of March
Started with a head cold which left me deaf in one ear and with labyrinthitis
Then last week I got an awful sore throat and cough and my voice is going
Feel like crap

GeezeLouiseBelcher Wed 30-Mar-16 18:58:47

Yup, the whole house has it to some varying degree. It's shit. The house is a mess, I'm exhausted, I'm ready to stab dp in the face with a broken bottle of cough medicine if he doesn't quit fucking MOANING and flailing about constantly and I can't afford time off work.

Anyway. What doesn't kill ya and all that

Sallycinnamum Wed 30-Mar-16 19:10:21

I've had something similar three times since January.

Last weekend I dosed myself up, felt better for one day and then bang, it came back 100 times worse.

My DH had it too and DS is now suffering.

I'm fed up to the back teeth of my household being constantly ill. It's impacting on my work as I'm having to take time off because I'm poorly and for the DC too.

I've started taking zinc and echinacea and oregano oil capsules to ward off tonsillitis.

I honestly can't remember a winter when we've been so poorly.

teacher54321 Wed 30-Mar-16 19:30:33

This has obviously hit a nerve with a lot of people! I keep feeling normal and then 'bam' suddenly terrible again. It's rubbish. Am having lots of berocca and trying to rest and going it will pass soon... Hope everyone feels better soon!

SmileAndNod Wed 30-Mar-16 19:36:59

Me too. Had it for about 10 days now. Definitely feeling better than I did 10 days ago, but it's still hanging in there. Never had a cold like it whereby I've taken to my bed and slept on and off for a week.
Hope everyone feels better soonflowers

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Wed 30-Mar-16 19:45:26

Yes me and DD have had it since March just when thought feeling better it knocks you for six. Its bloody awful especially as have hyper younger child and I don't have energy to do anything

Louisa111 Wed 30-Mar-16 20:16:00

Yes had if for 3 or 4 weeks on and off. You feel
A bit better then bam it's back. Although the cough and sore throat is better I'm now left with a pounding headache that won't go. I think it's left me with sinus problems.
It's a nasty nasty bug and I'm usually extremely lucky and don't get colds x

Badders123 Thu 31-Mar-16 09:26:03

Ds2 has woken up with it now....sigh.

snowgirl29 Wed 06-Apr-16 16:13:49

Yep. Ive just had it and i ended up in hospital with it in the end (have asthma and it floored me). Settled on my chest and one of the abs I was given didn't agree with me at all. confused

Hope all those that have it are feeling better real soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now