Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Prolapse and weak pelvic floor

(8 Posts)
ChickenTikka31 Wed 30-Mar-16 13:46:11

sorry if this is in the wrong place, I don't post very often.

I have 5dc and youngest was a forceps with 3c tear. I've been having some physio but I'm starting to get quite concerned that my "little issues" might not be as little as I had initially thought.

At my last appointment I was told I really needed to work on my tummy muscles (very large separation) before I go back as she thinks this is having an impact on the bladder prolapse (is only mild) and pelvic floor. Physio did an internal and said there's no response at all in the pelvic floor muscles at the front sad I'm booked in next week to be given a device (not sure that's the right word but it's the best I can come up with) to get my muscles working again. Has anyone ever had this and it been successful? I'm due to see the consultant over the summer and physio have said they want to have "exhausted all options" before I do.

I'm sorry this is probably not making any sense at all but I'm 34 I can't drink anything if I know I have to leave the house because not only can I not tell if my bladder is full but I can't stop it leaking. If I have to raise my voice, cough, sneeze walk too fast I will leak. I also have problems with the other and can't hold that or wind either though the physio has said there's a good response from the muscles at the back so they are starting to work again.

I'm still unable to do any exercise as I feel as if I have been kicked and if I walk my dog I need to take painkillers and then sit on a heat pad.

The biggest issue that I haven't been able to discuss with the physio as dh comes with me to look after lo 7 months is that even though I've plucked up the courage to resume some form of sex life, and it's not been painful. I can't feel anything. Nothing at all. I used to enjoy it but now it's horrible and I just can't feel anything. I'm not sure if it's anxiety related? Or should I speak up in case I've done some damage?

Sorry I have waffled but if you've understood any of my post and have any advice I would be really grateful.

twixes Wed 30-Mar-16 15:04:43

Im so sorry to hear you're having such a terrible time. I'm going through similar at the moment, albeit not quite as severe. I had a brutal forceps baby, had 0 continence post birth but I've seen a massive improvement 6 months pp. I've been attending physio since 2 weeks pp and I religiously did my pelvic floor exercises for about 4 months and I think they helped a lot. I also have the pelvic toner you talk about and I think that helps. (I call it frying my vagina smile)

There's also an nhs squeezy app that has been a godsend for me. It helps to keep you on track with your exercises. I've been lazy of late and have noticed a marked difference, the exercises are so important.

It's so shit to be going through this but you will get better, you may never be the same 'old you' but there are operations that can help with your symptoms and continence: posterior repair, anterior repair, tvt. The repair ops are basically tightening up and putting back together jobs (think stitching up stuffing from a sofa) and should help with the sensation during sex. Tvt lifts your bladder back into place.

What age is your LO? I was told it can take a year to fully heal. I'm also still breastfeeding and I'm told your hormonal make up when bf is similar to a post menopausal woman (low oestrogen) and weakens the vagina walls. This is part of the reason why I'm currently weaning.

There's a prolapse thread somewhere on mn that I found v helpful, but I've only been a lurker myself

Sending you hugs and thanks

PollyPerky Wed 30-Mar-16 15:05:47

There is a long-running thread here on prolapses- do a search.

Have you been doing any pelvic floor exercises yourself before now? if not you can start and do them as well as using the device- though check with the physio.
It is not a 'quick fix'- you have to do 3 sets of 10 over the day, holding for up to 10 seconds with each squeeze. It can take up to 16 weeks for this to work. If you want advice, look at the website of physio Michelle Kenway or Gussie Grips (another physio.)

The loss of feeling is due to your muscle tone being lost. If, after the help from the physio and the device, all is no better then you may need surgery to tighten it all back up. You would need to see a gynae for their opinion and tbh it might be worth asking for a referral now because you might benefit from another experts opinion. It IS fixable but will take time.

gastropod Wed 30-Mar-16 15:11:35

Have a Google for "hypopressive exercises" - not the same as your usual pelvic floor exercises, but very very effective.

ChickenTikka31 Wed 30-Mar-16 15:26:20

Thank you so much I'll have a look for that thread. I'm mostly a lurker and I've missed it sorry blush

I have been doing the usual pelvic floor exercises since I fell pregnant with my oldest who is now 9, lo is 7 months now and I'm seeing gynae consultant over the summer apparently it's standard after tearing the way I did to have a check. I didn't get to start my physio until lo was 10 weeks old though it's in fairly high demand here and we have a shortage of physios.

I had obviously expected some weakening of my pelvic floor after 5 dc none have been easy births and they've all been fairly weighty but youngest was a bit more traumatic. Still I suppose because I've always done my pelvic floor exercises religiously I expected I would heal better than I have done.

My physio has had me doing some slightly different exercises that involve my abdominals as well as pelvic floor. Im doing them but just can't hold them long enough. I'm lucky if I manage 3 seconds and they'd like me to be able to do 10 sad

I am bf my lo too so I suspect it's slowing the process but they have said I could have a hormone pessary if the consultant thinks it's needed.

Thank you I am feeling a lot better after reading your responses.

twixes Wed 30-Mar-16 15:50:30

No problem, if you've any questions just ask. We should resurrect the prolapse thread, it'd probably be therapeutic to talk to others in a similar situation smile

Treeroot Fri 01-Apr-16 15:33:24

Are you aware of the MuTu programme? mutusystem.com/ It's designed for diastasis, pelvic floor and core weakness. There's a very supportive Facebook group and I know lots of women on there have improved or even resolved their pelvic floor and leaking problems.

Treeroot Fri 01-Apr-16 15:37:54

I forgot to add, I've been battling a horrible diastasis for some time - I've found the Katy Bowman book 'diastasis recti' very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now