Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Joint pain...feeling drained

(7 Posts)
sj257 Mon 28-Mar-16 18:46:26

For the past 2-3 weeks I've been experiencing pain in my joints, it started in my ankles and I put it down to being overweight, however it's now in my wrists, fingers, elbows, shoulders etc and getting worse. I went to the doctors last Tuesday, at first she asked me if I had any flu like symptoms which I didn't and then asked me if there was any family history of rheumatoid arthritis. I had blood tests on Wednesday, obviously the results will be delayed by the long weekend.

I'm feeling drained, my poor hubby and kids have had to put up with me being unable to do much and I'm worried about how I'm going to cope with looking after them for 2 weeks while they are off school if I carry on like this.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? The pain is horrible it knocks me sick

sj257 Mon 28-Mar-16 18:55:25

Just want to add, I had a particularly nasty cas of Hand, foot and mouth over Christmas. All the skin peeled off my hands and feet and I lost half of my nails! My mum thinks it's perhaps a post viral thing, but 3 months later is quite some time?

LivingInMidnight Mon 28-Mar-16 20:15:54

A lot of us in here have been in your situation. Try not to panic about it right now, just pace yourself and wait for the blood test results. Plan your days out so you can work around the pain as best you can. Hope you feel better soon flowers

sj257 Tue 29-Mar-16 22:01:46

Got my results today, slightly elevated C reactive protein that the doctor said isn't anything to worry about. Everything else clear. Still in pain, still feel drained.

sj257 Tue 29-Mar-16 22:03:47

I asked if I was tested for vitamin D deficiency, she said no as I have no risk factors for that?

LivingInMidnight Tue 29-Mar-16 22:22:57

That means you have some inflammation. You could take ibuprofen for a few days and see if that helps. As horrible as it must sound I would give it a couple more weeks and go back if nothing changes and you're still struggling to cope. Is there a family history of rheumatoid arthritis?

GPs are reluctant to test for vitamin d. If you think that might be the problem get some supplements - it'll be cheaper than a prescription.

With the tests (which I would assume included ANA and RF) coming up as negative it will probably be a waiting game. sad sorry flowers

sj257 Wed 30-Mar-16 00:05:14

No history on my mums side, no idea about my dads, we don't speak. I sent him a message asking but he won't reply. Hey ho.

I'm just feeling really frustrated, as I know I'm not right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now