Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast reduction surgery aftercare

(4 Posts)
Clockworklemon Mon 28-Mar-16 14:40:02

Hello, well I'm finally doing it after years of hating my boobs..

Surgery scheduled for next month and I'm trying to make plans for post op.

Really would appreciate any advice you lovely ladies can offer me. Sorry lots of questions I wish I'd asked my surgeon but want to know before my pre op assessment..

1) How soon after will I be able to do the school run? This involves driving DD1 to school, getting buggy out of car boot, taking DD2 out of car seat, strapping DD2 into buggy and pushing buggy into school.

2) I'm going from an H cup to around. DD cup but obviously it's not a precise science. Did you buy sports bra's in advance of your op? If so, what size did you buy? Assuming there will be some swelling, would I be sensible to buy a couple of sizes up from my hoped for eventual size?

3) will I need to buy sports bra straight away or is there a period of time post surgery where you just wore dressings? What did you wear clothes wise when you got home from surgery? I'm having 1 night in hospital then home.

4) have a special family occasion coming up 5 weeks after op. Will I still be horribly swollen? Or will I be close to my new size? Thinking about outfits..

5) DH will be home looking after me for 4 days post op, then back to work, leaving me with DD2 toddler (walking) and needing to do school run and after school clubs for DD1 - is that too soon? Will I manage OK? Am I mad? Really reluctant to ask in-laws to come and help out as they'll have to stay and also embarrassed at them knowing about my op..

So many questions, think I just need some reassurance or a kick to arrange more childcare, lifts etc. Thank you!!

Clockworklemon Mon 04-Apr-16 12:42:43

I think I probably asked way to many questions here, but any advice/tips re post reduction surgery most appreciated as I don't know anyone in real life who has had this surgery, thanks

QuizteamBleakley Mon 04-Apr-16 13:47:55

Hi there - I'll reply properly tonight but, in the meantime, arrange as much help as you can. My BR op was 6 years ago so I'll need to check the mental Roladex for full info!

I am STILL delighted with the results (36J to 36DD).

Clockworklemon Mon 04-Apr-16 14:12:12

Thank you so much for replying, the nerves are starting to kick in and I'm worried that I won't have enough support afterwards so trying to get a better idea of average recovery time.

So pleased you are happy with the results smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now