Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Df bp 200/80. Cancel holiday?

(11 Posts)
Notthinkingclearly Fri 25-Mar-16 10:48:08

Due to go on holiday with parents but df had pre op assessment and bp very high. Checked again yesterday and a reading of 200/80. Prescribed medications which he will start today. Holiday company can refund us if we have a Drs note. Do you think dr would write a note or would most GP's think he should go about normal daily life. It would mean him driving for 3 hours. He is 68.

KillBillHill Fri 25-Mar-16 10:52:11

If a plane journey is booked then I would most certainly cancel. I'm sure the doctor would write a note for him recommending he doesn't go abroad until his health situation is a bit better.

BobsKnobs Fri 25-Mar-16 10:55:16

He's probably been running that BP for some time. The medication usually works quickly. I see no reason not to go (you didn't mention there was a flight).

BigGreenOlives Fri 25-Mar-16 10:58:48

What did his doctor say he should do? A friend of mine (she's in her 70s) has just been told she has v high BP & to rest, she was told not to travel 2 ½ hours (each way) yesterday for a close friend's funeral. Df had a heart attack on Mother's Day & is back at work as normal & travelling by plane etc. Depends on his overall condition.

Notthinkingclearly Fri 25-Mar-16 10:59:13

No flight. Just worried about him driving. Already wasted 2 days of our booking as we are all getting over flu and now worried about my dad. He has a very big op for cancer in 2 weeks time and this is not the holiday I planned. Needs bp down before op.

originalusernamefail Fri 25-Mar-16 11:04:38

Can anyone else drive? I think the 'holiday' part could be good for him and help him relax and as you will be presumably somewhere in the UK the NHS will be available if he becomes unwell. I would not be happy with him driving as you do not know how the new medication will affect him (a new lower bp may make him weak / dizzy until play his body is used to it) or he may become unwell at the wheel if it remains high. Watch him for headaches and blurred vision as these may be signs of stroke.

OddBoots Fri 25-Mar-16 11:06:47

Could you cancel booking on medical grounds and use the refund to go somewhere closer?

PollyPerky Fri 25-Mar-16 12:59:26

Dont think high BP is a reason to avoid a holiday tbh. His lower figure is normal- it's the upper figure that is high and that can vary hugely with white coat syndrome.He may have been anxious when they did the BP- usually they tell you to check it at home over a period of two weeks. This result could be a one-off.

can you or your mum not drive? Train?

DropYourSword Fri 25-Mar-16 13:01:42

It's strange that the systolic is SO high when the diastolic is relatively normal!
3 hour drive is not unthinkable. He's started medication. What was the GPs advice?

sadie9 Fri 25-Mar-16 15:14:37

The bp medications can make you have dizzy /faint spells in some people for a week or so at the start.

Wolpertinger Fri 25-Mar-16 17:43:36

Who is doing the driving? He'll probably enjoy the holiday rather than sitting at home thinking about his cancer op. Presumably holiday is UK based?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now