Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone suggest a non-drowsy sedative for DD?

(9 Posts)
chicaguapa Thu 24-Mar-16 09:23:59

We're going on holiday tomorrow. DD(14) has CFS/ME and is becoming anxious about the travelling. We have done everything we can to minimise it physically, short of cancelling but it was booked before she became ill and the GP says it would be good for DD to go. We've arranged special assistance at the airports so she won't have to walk anywhere and this also puts us on the plane first and in a special lane at security so there's less waiting around.

So to help her deal with this mentally, I'd like to give her a sedative to calm her. But without making her sleepy which will make her worse and the ordeal even harder for her to cope with.

Thanks.

sparechange Thu 24-Mar-16 09:26:38

A sedative by its very nature will make her drowsy?

Do you mean an anti-anxiety medicine? You won't get anything effective without a prescription but could try something like Rescue Remedy? The placebo effect could help her

originalmavis Thu 24-Mar-16 09:34:15

Maybe try the Bach flower stuff. My old boss used to mainline it and I know people who have found it very helpful.

Bichonsrock Thu 24-Mar-16 13:26:44

How about valerian? I think it's in Kalms. Hope the trip is a success x

ShatnersBassoon Thu 24-Mar-16 13:30:16

A sedative will sedate her, no getting around that.

Is it something specific that's concerning her? I don't know anything about ME so I don't know how it could affect her comfort when traveling.

WhereDidAllThoseYesterdaysGo Thu 24-Mar-16 13:34:37

I'd advise she tries eft on her anxiety . I had ME and found this v effective .

EFT is emotional freedom techniques .. Google it and there are some excellent you tube videos which are v easy to follow ..

I would avoid meds as ME sufferers can have oodd reactions ..

Dollybird99 Thu 24-Mar-16 13:37:55

What about a bit of Bach Rescue Remedy. Its natural, and although it doesn't work for everyone (it's never worked for me, but a friend swears by it), it may have a bit of a placebo effect. Good luck flowers

chicaguapa Thu 24-Mar-16 13:54:30

Thanks all. My step dad has something that calms him but doesn't make him drowsy. But he guards them with his life and they're [his] prescription only anyway.

We'll try Rescue Remedy and look at Kalms. I think for the placebo effect she'd have to think it'll work in the first place, but no harm in trying.

Thanks for the EFT tip. I'll look into that.

Fwaffy Thu 24-Mar-16 13:59:24

Propranolol can help with flight anxiety for some people- it acts against the racing heart/sweaty palms/adrenaline effects of panic but isn't a sedative as such. Prescription only thought and not suitable everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now