Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

why would my cycle become so short?

(20 Posts)
Castasunder Sun 20-Mar-16 14:13:04

Hello.

I'm 37, and before getting the mirena coil, always had regular 28 day cycles. I've been off the mirena now for 2 years and since then my cycles have been really really weird.

For a start, they last around 11 days- starting off very light, then getting a 'proper period' eventually.
Secondly, my cycle comes around every 23 days or so. For a while there, it seemed to regulate itself and went to 28 days , lasting around a week and seemed normal. I was delighted. That was short lived though and I only had around 5 months of that normality. My last two cycles have gone back to 23 days, and last 11 days .

It's making me miserable. I've had 14 days blood-free this month. I'm also worried about what it means for me fertility wise as I would like another child (not actively trying yet for financial reasons)

Thanks in advance x

PollyPerky Sun 20-Mar-16 19:19:03

If it carries on, go and see your GP and insist on blood tests (at the right time of your cycle, not just any old time) to see if you are entering menopause early. Irregular cycles are the main sign. If you are, then you should be referred to a gynae who can advise on your ovarian function and how long you have left to conceive.

Castasunder Sun 20-Mar-16 20:07:28

Seriously? Early menopause??

Castasunder Sun 20-Mar-16 20:11:43

Sorry, it's just that the menopause never occurred to me. My mum didn't get hers until she was mid 50's

Castasunder Sun 20-Mar-16 20:12:32

When is the time in my cycle to get blood tested?x

SweepTheHalls Sun 20-Mar-16 20:15:15

I had exactly the same issues after coming of Mirena to conceive again. I ended up with 21 day cycles and a 2 year wait but did eventually convince DD.

MaisieDotes Sun 20-Mar-16 20:20:44

I had a 23 day cycle when I was 37 and I am now 39. I had 2 babies in the last two years.

I saw it as a positive when I wanted to conceive as I was obviously ovulating more frequently. My periods didn't last anything like 11 days though. Probably 7 days max.

Castasunder Sun 20-Mar-16 20:21:39

I hated the mirena:/ it caused me so many problems for my cycle. When you've had 20 years of normal textbook cycles, it's hard to deal with

Castasunder Sun 20-Mar-16 20:41:35

I hated the mirena:/ it caused me so many problems for my cycle. When you've had 20 years of normal textbook cycles, it's hard to deal with

Castasunder Sun 20-Mar-16 20:44:41

Maisie, thanks for your input. I'm at a loss as to what the 11 day thing is all about. It's truly exhausting to have only 14 days a month blood free. I'm baffled.
It starts off needing only a liner for 5 days or so, then my 'proper' period starts...lasts for 3-4 days...then tapers off for another 2-3 days.

PollyPerky Sun 20-Mar-16 21:03:29

Premature meno is before the age of 45. Very early meno is before age 40 and affects 1% of women. The days to have your LH and FSH levels tested are days 2-5 of a cycle then again after day 14. You might need this done over a couple of months to be sure of accuracy.
It does sound like hormones going awry.

Castasunder Sun 20-Mar-16 21:07:46

Would hormones going awry have any other reason than menopause?:/

ivykaty44 Sun 20-Mar-16 21:18:38

Thyroid can cause irregularities in periods

Castasunder Sun 20-Mar-16 22:29:07

I had my thyroid tested 3 years ago (unrelated) and it was normal. Is it possible that it's become abnormal since then?x

PollyPerky Mon 21-Mar-16 08:18:17

A test done 3 years ago is now longer valid- our bodies don't stay the same for years. See your GP!

YeOldeTrout Mon 21-Mar-16 20:08:16

My cycle settled around 22-23 days in my late 20s. Which didn't bother me in the least, anyway.
I started taking vit. B6 for a very unrelate reason, and my cycle settled strongly at 28-29 days instead. I later read that a lot of women take B6 to settle their cycle.

Worth a try??

No fertility problems, btw smile.

Castasunder Mon 21-Mar-16 21:51:16

Oh I'll try that. Think I've heard something about B6, thank you. Are there any types specifically you'd recommend? How much should I take?

Castasunder Mon 21-Mar-16 21:55:00

I find the length of it soooo frustrating. It's not even remotely like a period for the first 5-6 days. Even now for sample, I started bleeding lightly on Saturday past. I'll continue this way now until wed or thur- then I'll get a 'proper' period, which will last 3-4 days , maybe 5. Like clockwork it follows this pattern.

Ruins my sex life for 2 out of 4 weeks. Quite aside from the fact that it's just so weird!

YeOldeTrout Mon 21-Mar-16 21:55:43

I think I had 50-150 mlgm daily, which was for carpal tunnel syndrome.
Seems to be a safe enough dose.

Castasunder Thu 24-Mar-16 13:39:09

Thank you. I've bought some b6 yesterday and started on 150mg. Will also make appt with doctor although that's proving pretty impossible and they have waiting lists weeks long .angry

Does anyone know why a period would be dragged out so long? As in...what is the hormone that's missing/depleting or whatever it is, that would cause this? I'm currently on day 6 of a slow 'drip' if you like, which will eventually- in perhaps 3 days time turn into a full period. I just don't understand it.

I could actually cope with a period every 23 days (as I'm experiencing) if it didn't then last for 11-12 days - and most of those days are made of up of an extremely light flow that list disrupts everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now