Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

"Abnormal EEG" - what now?

(1 Post)
TolstoyAteMyHamster Sat 19-Mar-16 22:06:04

ds had an EEG a couple of weeks ago to rule out epilepsy after an odd incident when he fell over walking down the street, and was very vacant and shaky for a little while after. I assumed it was going to be fine, but it's come back saying there were abnormalities in the sleep phase consistent with a focal epilepsy.

We've been referred to a neurologist but I don't know how long it will take. Are EEGs ever ambiguous? Could it be a false positive? If there is a clear and repeated abnormality, which the report suggested there was, does that mean epilepsy? What will they do at the appointment - the cover letter mentioned an MRI referral, but why would they want to do that?

We've only just had the all clear after a worrying wait for tests for various kidney issues for his sister so I feel slightly wrung out at the thought of going back through the system again but for something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now