Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

A "care to diagnose me?" thread

(24 Posts)
duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Mar-16 14:11:40

In January I was in Mexico for a week. Both feet swelled on the flight there, went down the next day. During the trip I woke up to find my left foot was swollen and painful. On the flight home it became more swollen & painful. It is still swollen.

I have had bloods & an ultrasound done which ruled out a clot. I have had an x-ray done which ruled out a break.

The thinking after those were clear was that it would go down, it hasn't.

Today my gp did bloods for U&Es, bone profile, full blood count, ESR and CRP. He doesn't know what's causing it.

Any ideas?

Ps. My only other symptom is that I've been feeling very tired. Don't know if that's related or not.

Cocolepew Mon 14-Mar-16 14:13:51

Could you have been bitten by anything, a tick or mosquito?

duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Mar-16 14:15:57

I did get bitten, but not on my foot, no.

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Mon 14-Mar-16 15:20:31

mmm, did you step on anything in the sea? coral?

duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Mar-16 15:45:12

Nothing obvious, no! I wonder whether mexico is clouding the issue & it's nothing to do with the trip, just happened to start then?

I'm 27, so feel like I'm not old enough to have mystery foot swelling.

duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Mar-16 15:46:53

Plus I've been unable to fit in heels or boots for pretty much the whole of winter. angry

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Mon 14-Mar-16 15:50:02

Do you mean you have had ankle or feet swelling? Any heart issues?

lljkk Mon 14-Mar-16 15:53:53

gout?

duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Mar-16 16:02:08

It's the foot hyacinth. No, no heart issues. Often runs fast (90-100), but apart from that no.

Gout! I did wonder that, but the big toe isn't so affected. The two next to it are quite swollen. I'm fairly slim & no other risk factors for it.

lljkk Mon 14-Mar-16 19:25:59

I would imagine GP would recognise gout, tbf. It can hit other toes instead of big toe (scary picture).

lljkk Mon 14-Mar-16 19:27:54

If you google swollen toes on google images, which one looks like yours?

duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Mar-16 19:53:33

I'll show you the real ones lljkk

It doesn't look too bad in the picture. But it's been like this (worse some days, better others) for nearly 2 months.

duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Mar-16 19:57:21

Here's another. You can see that the 2nd & 3rd toes are the most affected. It's pitting on the main part of the foot.

Apologies for gross feet.

lljkk Mon 14-Mar-16 20:02:59

oh you poor thing. How far up the ankle does it go? Wish I had a good idea. Is it better after exercise (say swimming).

duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Mar-16 20:07:51

It stops at the ankle, legs are fine. It's worse after walking (and that's pretty much my only exercise, I'm a lazy sod). Oddly also worse after a bath.

Sigh. Thanks for your sympathy, I shall wallow in it. Feeling a bit fed up today!

duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Mar-16 21:07:54

Tiny post bedtime bump.

HopeandSoap Mon 14-Mar-16 21:14:22

Were there any infection indicated on the bloods?

HopeandSoap Mon 14-Mar-16 21:15:00

Is it still painful?

duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Mar-16 21:18:43

Bloods not back yet.

No, not painful really. A bit numb-feeling if that makes sense. Tender if I try to walk too far or wear anything other than flats.

GlitteryFluff Mon 14-Mar-16 22:30:00

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/swollen-ankles-and-feet

Have you read this? Anything that sounds like it could be something?

duckyneedsaclean Mon 14-Mar-16 22:58:34

Hey, glittery. Yes I've read that.

Because it's only one side the only things that could fit are lymphadema, venous insufficiency or injury.

Lymphadema - I have had none of the things that cause it.
Injury - don't last 8 weeks!
Venous insufficiency - possible I suppose, but would probably be leg as well?

lljkk Tue 15-Mar-16 10:21:19

If it's worse after a bath, is it better after you put ice on it?

Some type of blood vessel insufficiency fits well.
The risk factors include low physical activity & smoking. Do you smoke?

Some people report success with Venous diseases by taking aspirin. It would be safe to take at regular doses for 3 days, always with meals, to see if that makes any difference to you. I wouldn't carry on with aspirin without GP advice, and always with food.

duckyneedsaclean Tue 15-Mar-16 10:42:13

I do smoke blush.

I'm seeing gp for blood results on Thursday, maybe I'll ask their advice about trying aspirin?

duckyneedsaclean Thu 17-Mar-16 11:24:21

Last ditch bump, I'm going to gp again soon. Blood results all normal.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now