Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there a solution to hormonal nausea??

(16 Posts)
Wiifitmama Sun 13-Mar-16 15:51:52

I am getting so sick of it. Periods bring it on and it can be very severe. I am always worried its a stomach bug - which of course it never is. Sometimes it lasts just a day, but some months like this one, it can last for a few days. I am soooooo fed up. Is there anything that I can do?

RandomMess Sun 13-Mar-16 15:57:33

I've been looking into this today, now I'm in my 40s I am getting unwell with every period and my cycle is barely 3 weeks sad nausea, headaches, bowels all funny it's beginning to impact on life rather a bit too much - not to mention the severe mastalgia that sometimes last up to 2 weeks rather than just the 1 sad

Wiifitmama Sun 13-Mar-16 16:58:19

Mine got worse when I hit 40 too. I am almost 44 now and it just continues to get worse.

PollyPerky Sun 13-Mar-16 18:51:21

You need to go and see your GP. Taking something like tram. acid might help as it reduces the bleeding, and help period pains. Have you googled this and tried a 'PMS' diet because cutting back on certain foods might help too.

Deadnettle Sun 13-Mar-16 18:57:31

Can we find a solution to hormonal vomiting too?

I started today at 5am lying on the bathroom floor, boiling alive, feeling faint and vomiting. On the bright side I didn't have diarrhoea this time hmm

Ibuprofen works if taken early enough.

Mine is getting worse the older I get too (I'm 31). I can't cope anymore and my entire life is affected sad

Wiifitmama Sun 13-Mar-16 19:40:08

I am already on a strict Paleo low fodmap diet which theoretically should help enormously. I dread to think how bad it would be otherwise. I really am not a heavy bleeder or get very bad pains so not sure i need something to reduce that. It is just the nausea.

moocowmrs Sun 13-Mar-16 19:43:28

I had this all last week, it's horrid so horrid, I am having a coil fitted soon and hope that it might help, but so fed up of it, it's nice not too feel alone in this x

RandomMess Sun 13-Mar-16 20:44:47

I have virtually zero bleeding already had to have womb ablation due to the 3 weekly monsoon I used to have!

This is purely just the hormones sad

I did wonder whether going on the mini-pill may actually help?

I have felt so unwell this weekend I haven't wanted to drink coffee shock

I spend at least as much time in utter breast agony than without it these days, thoroughly fed up. Even the slight "bounce" from fast walking is painful sad

exexpat Sun 13-Mar-16 20:56:38

DD (13) has this and it's horrible. Most people I have spoken to who have had this say that going on the pill helped, but when DD was put on the combined pill it made it worse. She has been given a couple of different ant-nausea/anti-emetic pills (cyclizine and domperidone) which haven't made a huge difference. This month we're trying the progesterone-only pill, and waiting to see if it helps. Next step is referral to a gynaecologist.

OP, have you been to your GP and pushed for help yet?

Deadnettle Sun 13-Mar-16 21:03:20

RandomMess cerazette seemed to work, no periods at all and no sickness. It did however make me suicidal in a matter of weeks. It might work for you though.

I'm currently on another mini pill but its not as good (the ones that work best for me make me really depressed), and this morning was the first time in a year I have been ill.

I spent a year or so trying different pills to see what works so maybe you should ask your GP.

RandomMess Mon 14-Mar-16 12:48:28

Eek I have long term depression so not sure I should go there!

Also historical no pill whether combined or mini ever controlled my cycle properly - always had break through bleeding plus a proper period.

I may do some more research and see if progesterone only patches could be used to help with the worst week of the month.

Still off coffee, if it weren't for the fact I have no womb lining and have my tubes clipped I could be pregnant!

Deadnettle Mon 14-Mar-16 14:10:52

The mini pill I'm on doesn't control my cycle properly (or at all really) but it does do enough to stop me been sick, or at least it did until sunday morning.

I can't remember which mini pill it was but one affected my mood in a totally positive way. I was much much happier on it but sadly it did nothing for my periods.

Realitea Mon 14-Mar-16 14:41:31

I'd consider getting a progesterone only form of contraception to stop periods, therefore stopping the nausea. I have it too and after days of googling, I think this is the answer.

whitershadeofpale Mon 14-Mar-16 14:54:11

It might be worth considering the fact that it could be a migraine. I had it for years, hot, sweaty, upset stomach, vomiting. Didn't even think of it until I started getting them other times of the month with aura.

Menstral migraines are often purely abdominal migraines.

RandomMess Mon 14-Mar-16 19:40:54

Hmmm I do suffer from migraines - far more frequent during teenage years, then rare, and now ramping up again. I think it's all hormonal related.

I am so so so so peeved that my cycles are so short - used to be about 6 weekly pre children! Now less than 20 days some cycles <<weeps>>

Realitea Mon 14-Mar-16 20:10:00

mine too! I hardly get a break and only feel normal for a week, maximum! I'm 36 and I've really felt it get worse in the past year or two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now