Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

heart palpitations - when to worry?

(8 Posts)
BaryMerry Sun 13-Mar-16 12:41:42

I've been experiencing almost constant palpitations since yesterday afternoon - I think. Was at a party last night and didn't really notice during it, but they were there before I went and have woken up this morning feeling the same.

I get these from time to time, but they're not usually so sustained. I had been fairly active all day yesterday, painting a room at home then at this party. Not particularly stressed or anxious in general at the moment, so it's not a panicky thing.

Just wondering if/when I should be worried? I know palpitations are normal and not usually linked to anything serious but this feeling of my heart continuously skipping/fluttering is a bit unusual for me. Any advice, experience? Am going to sit down for a bit, see if I can relax and calm it down...

Eva50 Sun 13-Mar-16 16:01:42

You should phone out of hours and have an ECG whilst you have the palpitations. If they can catch them on an ECG they should be able to diagnose the problem and will know whether it's anything to worry about or not. I have had odd ectopic beats and runs of them for 18 years without any problems but have once had atrial fibrillation which needed treatment.

BaryMerry Sun 13-Mar-16 22:19:20

Thanks Eva. I have been debating whether or not to phone - I think I'm going to hold off and call for a GP appointment as early as possible tomorrow. I have no other more worrying symptoms - no pain, dizziness or anything and otherwise feel ok. It is still going though, more than 24 hours now so I'm beginning to get a bit concerned. Something's clearly not right...

Eva50 Mon 14-Mar-16 18:53:33

How are you now? I had a week once (about 5 years ago) where I had runs of ectopic beats more than 50% of the time for the whole week. It was scary but I've never had it so badly since. Actually it's a while since any problems.

megletthesecond Mon 14-Mar-16 19:00:30

I've had these sporadically all my life despite being very healthy. I finally got round to getting it checked out last year and the cardio dept had me wearing a heart monitor for 24hrs and they diagnosed supravascular tachycardia. It's basically a safe type of palpitation, although they can be bloody scary at times. The consultant said it's more common in women and something to do with having a 'dual carriageway' valve that goes a bit hyper at times. Apparently they tail off as you get older.

Please go and get yourself checked out.

sashh Tue 15-Mar-16 06:57:22

If they can't get a full 12 lead ECG when you have the palpitations then some GP practices, and all cardiology departments have monitors you can take home and make your own recording.

I get SVT when my thyroxine is too ow - which is totally the opposite of the medical text books - but I digress, that is the only time I get/have got palpitations and as I worked in the department I did my own recording.

It might be worth keeping a diary of what you are doing and when you get these - would be really useful if you are refereed to cardiology.

BaryMerry Tue 15-Mar-16 08:19:20

Palpitations still going pretty constantly - I'm getting rather weary of them but trying not to feel anxious about it. I went to the GP yesterday and got a resting ECG, which managed to capture an ectopic heartbeat. Nothing to worry about apparently but proof I suppose that I'm not just imagining it! I'm also getting my thyroid checked as I was hyperthyroid a few years ago, and palpitations were what tipped me off to that. My thyroid's been normal any time I've had it checked though for about 10 years, so I'm not sure it's that, but better to get it checked so it can be ruled out.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's experienced these - I'm hoping they'll settle down soon though.

Chloe1984 Wed 16-Mar-16 17:17:18

Do you suffer from heartburn? I didn't think to put the 2 together when I started getting frequent palpitations about a year ago. Had the 24 hr ECG done and results came back fine, was convinced I had a heart problem as it started out of nowhere. Heartburn & indigestion can be a trigger for palpitations as it can aggravate the vagus nerve. Have been on omeprazole/lansoprazole since and that's sorted it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now