Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Day 59 with no period

(14 Posts)
kojackscat Sat 12-Mar-16 17:09:31

And 2 pregnancy tests show negative.
I used two different brands, a week apart, on days 36 and 43.
Should I do another one, or could it be something more serious?
I'm getting rather stressed by it now.
If I was 8 weeks gone, surley I'd be getting some other signs?
I'm 43, so a bit too old for a natural, unplanned pregnancy, but too young for the menopause.
Someone tell me it will be ok????

Badders123 Sat 12-Mar-16 17:10:20

Not too young for meno...sorry!

kojackscat Sat 12-Mar-16 17:15:21

Ok, if it s that, i'll accept it. If I am pregnant, it would really be a disaster. DS is 7 with SEN, and I really couldn't have a baby in the house, I would never cope.

I have no hot flushes, I don't even know anything else about the meno, I've always assumed it happens at around 55, so I've not paid any attention to what the symptoms are.

Littleallovertheshop Sat 12-Mar-16 17:17:10

It could well be a slightly early peri menopause - I'd head to the doctor. Don't worry about the lack of hot flushes - be happy!

Littleallovertheshop Sat 12-Mar-16 17:18:03

(what I meant is go to doctor regardless - they can do bloods and things and investigate other causes to rule out)

kojackscat Sat 12-Mar-16 17:19:08

Should I do another pregnancy test? or is 2 negatives pretty conclusive?

Roomba Sat 12-Mar-16 18:29:04

You're not taking any medications, are you? I only ask as I have found that when I take ibuprofen (which is often due to dodgy back and pelvis) my periods stop completely if I've taken it for more than a few days. When I mentioned it to my GP he said that this was reasonably common with NSAIDs.

kojackscat Sat 12-Mar-16 18:30:16

the odd pain killer, and something for indigestion. but ive been on that for about a year, so i doubt its connected.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 12-Mar-16 18:44:10

It could be the start of menopause or you might be getting false negatives for some reason. Or something else like stress.
A trip to the gp would be sensible for any of those. They can test hormone levels for the first two to rule them out.

5BlueHydrangea Sat 12-Mar-16 18:50:51

I'm 43 and my periods have been all over the place the last few months, whereas they were bang on 28 day cycle before. I've also had some night sweats. GP did some bloods, not menopausal which is good. Not that unusual at our age! So a good chance you're not pregnant..

sadie9 Sat 12-Mar-16 19:42:57

Did you notice any egg white mucus in the past few weeks? I would figure it is the menopause starting. Periods can just go missing here and there for a few years. You can kind of figure if you see the egg white mucus, then period about 14 to 20 days after that.

PollyPerky Sun 13-Mar-16 09:17:46

Irregular periods before the age of 45 can be a sign of menopause approaching and then you are having an early menopause. The average age of meno is 51-52. The decline in ovarian function can happen slowly over 10 years. 'Normal' menopause is from 45-55, but if your periods start going wonky earlier than 45 you need investigation. The reason is that being low in oestrogen can put you at a much higher risk of osteoporosis and heart disease in later life.

You ought to see your dr. Blood tests are needed but some GPs don't know when they ought to be done so women end up with false negatives, saying they are fine when in fact they aren't. It's not uncommon for GPs to say' book yourself in for a blood test'. [on any old day of your cycle.] Blood tests on any day of a cycle are only accurate in women who are post menopause when their hormones have stopped fluctuating.

The blood tests have to be done on days 2-5 of your cycle then after day 14. This is what consultant gynaes do. A single test just anywhere in the cycle is not accurate because one day you might have high levels of hormones, the next low- during peri meno hormones are all over the place.

If you have not had blood tests on these days, go back and tell your GP.

kojackscat Sun 13-Mar-16 14:30:30

So I guess a trip to the doctor is needed.

kojackscat Sun 13-Mar-16 14:30:42

Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now