Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nerve pain in my knee

(3 Posts)
tflick Fri 11-Mar-16 02:23:53

I had surgery a few years ago to reattach my quad tendon to my kneecap. I've regained strength and ROM, but ever since I've been unable to kneel on that knee due to the pain, which I assume is because the surgeon had to cut thru the nerve pack across my knee to get access to my kneecap.

It's been nearly 5 years and it still gives me problems. Is there anything I can do to mitigate the nerve pain when I kneel? Or am I just going to have to live with it the rest of my life?

sam740 Mon 21-Mar-16 11:56:32

check you knee with neurologist.

MatildaTheCat Mon 21-Mar-16 16:15:30

I had surgery after dislocating my patella many years ago. I'm not sure what exactly was done but it was tightened up to prevent it happening again. I have never been able to kneel again comfortably.

Fast forward by about 25 years and I was getting a lot of soreness and swelling so was referred back to orthopaedics. Am MRI revealed that my patella had been pulled slightly too far over and was not sitting in its groove correctly. The result is loss of cartiledge and now it's bone on bone. I keep it going with regular injections but the only option is a knee replacement if it causes me more problems. I am deeply unkeen on this.

So I say go back and ask for it to be re-examined and preferably with a scan because it may need readjusting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now