Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Clots whilst on thinners

(8 Posts)
Lolimax Thu 10-Mar-16 19:21:59

Last year I developed blood clots on the brain. I had awful (very distinctive) headaches) and luckily made a full recovery. I can't tolerate Warfarin so I inject Clexane every night. Over the last week the headaches have come back. My GP has made a referral back to my neurologist but surely as I'm taking blood thinners it would be impossible for further clots to develop wouldn't it? Anyone?

Lolimax Fri 11-Mar-16 10:26:12

Anyone?

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Fri 11-Mar-16 10:51:23

Sorry, I am not a medical person but did your GP offer any advice/opinion?

I am not sure but think maybe if the dosage is not right or maybe not a suitable thinner, the clots can recur but don't quote me on that. Maybe you might need a different dosage or thinner?

I presume a neurology referral would take a while, surely GP should be trying to sort this out sooner?

Lolimax Fri 11-Mar-16 11:14:46

Hi hyacinth. GP wanted to admit me but I fought that one. We agreed on a field of vision test and my optician couldn't find anything out of order. I'm not presenting with anything neurologically weird or wonderful (if I was I'd be straight into A and E).

PurpleWithRed Fri 11-Mar-16 11:20:55

If your GP wanted to admit you why didn't you go - you've got a history of a very serious condition.

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Fri 11-Mar-16 11:37:30

In your situation I would have taken the admission, at least there you could get further tests to see what is going on and maybe sort out medication. Not sure of your area but here is is MONTHS to even get to see a neurologist.

charleybarley Fri 11-Mar-16 11:52:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lolimax Fri 11-Mar-16 12:02:59

Ok thanks for all your comments. Probably not what I wanted to hear. They did loads of tests last year and couldn't find a reason for the clots. I did have to have 2 LP's to ease the high CSP. It could be that causing the headaches. Getting to see neuro is a nightmare and having spent nights on trolleys only to be sent home isn't something I want to repeat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now