Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Will the GP surgery think I'm cheeky checking a referral has been done.

(9 Posts)
Patterkiller Thu 10-Mar-16 13:46:06

It has only been a week, however I sat for three weeks waiting for the last referral to the physio only to be told when I rang the GPs that it hadn't been done, hence three weeks delay on assessment. When I did go to the physio assessment the GP hadn't forwarded the x-ray that they were supposed to, luckily I had asked for a copy of the report and was able to pass on to the physio myself.

So I am rather paranoid that thinks just aren't getting done. The GP said the letter would be sent within 3-4 days so hopefully it's winging it's way to the hospital.

So if I ring and ask them to check it was sent will they think I'm pushy and be forever talking about me when I make an appointment?

Bourdic Thu 10-Mar-16 13:58:26

Do it - I once had a referral letter left in a drawer for three weeks. I don't trust anyone - tbh if you get a reputation as pushy assertive, they'll be more likely to deal with you promptly to make you go away

Patterkiller Thu 10-Mar-16 14:01:25

Thanks, I know it's those who shout loudest who get pushed up the list I just find it really hard to be that person, however as I'm struggling to walk at the moment my humility is slowly disappearing.

I will call them now.

123rd Thu 10-Mar-16 14:19:38

Defo phone them. My dd was referred for a scan. I phoned gp surgery a week after gp apt o make sure it had been sent. They had requested an X-ray not a scan so would have been a complete waste of time if I hadn't checked

EmmaGellerGreen Thu 10-Mar-16 14:23:20

Cheeky or not, you are entitled to check. I am very glad I checked the whereabouts of my mum's referral to cardiology as it was still at the surgery as the admin staff had a backlog and it had ended up in a non urgent pile of papers.

Patterkiller Thu 10-Mar-16 16:01:35

Thanks, it had been sent but I won't hesitate in checking again.

Musicaltheatremum Thu 10-Mar-16 18:26:39

No harm in checking. I have a fairly fool proof way of remembering to do referrals but I'm only human and have forgotten. Fortunately it's been non urgent stuff (although still not good for the patient)

Marshy Fri 11-Mar-16 01:07:49

How about ringing the physio depth to see if they've received the referral and when your appointment is.

And being seen depends on clinical need not on how loud your voice is.....

PitilessYank Fri 11-Mar-16 01:17:55

Do it! I am a doctor and I never mind people calling in to check on those sorts of things. Sometimes it reminds us of a task we have forgotten, shamefully.

My PCP has a system whereby we can send traceable messages via a website so I communicate with them that way. Can you do that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now