Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why is my toenail like this? (Warning: photos. Though not particularly ewww.)

(13 Posts)
TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sat 05-Mar-16 16:08:28

One of my big toe nails is getting thicker, narrower, and more curved. It's getting harder to trim it. Why? Is there anything I can do about it, or is this just another of the delights of ageing?

waitingforgodot Sat 05-Mar-16 16:13:47

It might be a fungal infection?

hugoagogo Sat 05-Mar-16 21:32:06

Yup fungal nail infection.

Sorry, they can be a total arse to get rid of.

AnthonyPandy Sat 05-Mar-16 21:47:07

Terbinafine. See your GP.

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sat 05-Mar-16 22:27:15

Ewww.

Is it worth trying an OTC treatment first?

hugoagogo Sat 05-Mar-16 22:31:25

Vicks vapour rub is the preferred mumsnet treatment. Rub in twice a day.

StylishDuck Sat 05-Mar-16 22:33:44

My DF had this for years before he (finally) went to the dr about it. It was a fungal infection and cleared up pretty quickly with treatment.

MrsPinotGrigio Sun 06-Mar-16 00:02:46

I had this 2 years ago - got OTC treatment from Boots (cost about £20) & it cleared up. Took about 6 months though & I couldn't put nail varnish over it cos I had to use the stuff every day for 3 months. Thankfully it hasn't come back.

TheAussieProject Sun 06-Mar-16 03:11:06

Don't leave it untreated, and I would go to the GP. Fungal infections can be very very nasty and it is not always easy to get rid of it. My father has had one for more than 5 years and he is now slowly losing all the nail. I wish he had gone to the GP when it could still be saved.

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sun 06-Mar-16 15:02:47

Does this mean I'm not going to able to get my toenails shellacked this summer? sad

PacificDogwod Sun 06-Mar-16 15:05:37

Of course you can get them shellacked! It's one of the best ways of hiding fungal toe nails grin

You don't have to do anything about it if you don't want to.

I know the Vaporub thing is recommended here, but AFAIK the only thing that reliably works is oral medication (usually Terbinafine/Lamisil). See your GP, submit nail clippings and see what comes of it before you start treatment as it takes a few months.

TheAussieProject Sun 06-Mar-16 19:10:46

I disagree, Shellac may well have been the cause of your fungal infection.

Start treating the nail and see how it goes in 3 months time.

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sun 06-Mar-16 19:41:20

I've only once done shellac, last year, and this started 2-3 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now