Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

High blood pressure before smear test

(12 Posts)
Canshopwillshop Thu 03-Mar-16 15:06:27

I've just been for a routine smear test and the nurse took my blood pressure before it. It was 170/90! I have a follow up appointment for a re-check on Monday but I am worried. Could it be because I was about to have the smear? Wonder if I may also have a bit of white cost syndrome as I usually get a bit worked up going to Dr. Would these things make a big difference to my blood pressure? Anyone else get high blood pressure at Dr's only?

Think I might buy a kit to test at home.

PollyPerky Thu 03-Mar-16 15:13:04

Yes highly likely to be the smear fear!

The upper reading of 170 can certainly be caused by stress on the day but 90 is high for the bottom reading, so may be worthwhile you testing at home. Practices can lend machines sometimes if you don't want to shell out.

ToadsforJustice Thu 03-Mar-16 15:21:02

To me, it's a really daft idea to take a woman's blood pressure just before a smear test. I really wouldn't get upset over your BP result. If you return on Monday, you may have elevated result because you are worried. It may become a vicious circle. You can buy a cheap BP monitor to keep an eye on your pressure. If you have concerns, see your GP.

Practice nurses are obliged to weigh, take BP, give "advice" on giving up smoking etc etc at every opportunity. That's why if you see a nurse for a particular reason ie smear test, he/she will tag on weighing you and taking BP as the GP contract demands it. It's not for your well being. It's to tick QOF boxes. You can refuse any or all of these exams.

Canshopwillshop Thu 03-Mar-16 16:30:47

Thanks for replies. I did think it was a bit odd to do this just before a smear but anyway. I've bought a home test kit so will try it later when I'm relaxed. Also just thought that I've had a stressful few days with DD so that could also have affected it.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 03-Mar-16 16:39:51

It always winds me up going for a smear test your always late being called in. It's going to be a bit embarrassing and a bit uncomfortable and wow your blood pressure goes up

forfeksake Thu 03-Mar-16 17:00:13

Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday! I have a BP monitor at home, so checked that afternoon and it was fine.

PeppasNanna Thu 03-Mar-16 17:05:10

Why would you have your blood pressure taken at an appointment for a smear? confused

BloodyDogHairs Thu 03-Mar-16 17:12:18

I've never had a BP check before a smear but when I had a appointment to have my implant fitted my BP was sky high. The more the nurse said relax for 5 mins the more nervous I was getting.

Canshopwillshop Thu 03-Mar-16 21:16:37

Just checked with my new machine and it was 123/79 - a lot better!

Marynary Sat 05-Mar-16 17:13:57

A nurse once took my blood pressure before a smear. I questioned the wisdom of doing it at that time and I noticed later that she didn't even bother to record it due to my comments. I think that healthcare professionals who do this either lack empathy or common sense.

digerd Sat 05-Mar-16 19:12:21

I was very upset once and told GP it was not worth taking my BP on that day- it was 186/100 blush.
My BP soars when I get het up.

Your home BP is fine.

Canshopwillshop Sat 05-Mar-16 22:28:53

Thanks for your replies. Think it's clear that bp test before smear = not a good idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now