Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe cramping pain down trunk/rib area - anyone else experience this?

(7 Posts)
cellocello Tue 01-Mar-16 20:20:11

Happening with more frequency - often when I twist or lean down to get something from the floor if in a seated position or if I laugh. It will start on one side so I stretch up and away from the pain and it invariably then begins in the other side so I am literally left with no where to turn or twist away from it. sometimes it radiates round to my back. It's like a cramp and spasm and once it starts it lasts about 5- 10 minutes. It can happen in meetings if I turn around, if I go to plug my seatbelt in. Sometimes it feels really acute under each breast where the band of my bra sits. It's alarming when it happens but then it goes away and so I've held off going to the doctors as it is very intermittent pain. I'm on blood pressure medication (4 years) and wonder if this is causing it - I've put on weight and wondered whether my bra is too tight around my ribcage.

Has anyone else experienced this?

SirVixofVixHall Tue 01-Mar-16 20:22:00

I would think maybe gallstones? Or a hernia? Anyway I'd get it checked out. They can do a simple ultrasound to check for either.

Costochondritis. I had it for ages!

SluttyButty Tue 01-Mar-16 20:24:04

Costochondritis can do this. It does me.

You should get some bras that fit comfortably, and go see your GP to check it out though.

t1mum Tue 01-Mar-16 20:24:23

I don't know what it is but I get this. It's totally a muscular spasm. Dr Google tells me it is costochondritis, but your guess is as good as mine.

cellocello Tue 01-Mar-16 21:21:56

Thanks everyone. I've looked into costochondritis before and that seems to be more related to pain in the chest area and breastbone - this is definitely pain underneath and vertically down the trunk. SluttyButty where exactly did you feel your pain? I know a visit to the doctor is the order of the day and I have already gone out today and bought a bigger bra!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now