Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Raised optic discs

(4 Posts)
SluttyButty Tue 01-Mar-16 20:12:30

Anyone here with any knowledge of this. My teen had a routine eye check and these were found. She's been suffering hideous migraines and headaches. Over six hours in the eye hospital last week, scans and photos taken but Drusens? not clear and the first appt for a humphries field vision test has come through,waiting for urgent MRI and neurology.Trying really had not to worry,she's 16 and about to sit he GCSE's. Anyone with any knowledge or experience please talk to me.

hairymuffet Tue 01-Mar-16 21:10:51

Idiopathic intracranial hypertension ??

cestlavielife Tue 01-Mar-16 23:52:48

Few weeks to gcses. If she isn't well school will tell exam board and they will posfibly base on mock results. Don't panic yet about the exams.

She needs an mri urgently to rule out any anomalies. But it may not have been hugely raised if she didn't immediately get taken for a scan?

Are the headaches new or has she had migraine for a while ?

cestlavielife Wed 02-Mar-16 00:06:46

My dd nearly 16 had/ has (largely controlled with meds) severe migraines and weird stuff on eye exams. She has upper quadrant missing in visual field test . she has a structural anomaly in brain discovered on mri two years ago but this would have been there since birth. Sees hosp eye doctor every 6 months now. Was more often when still working out he why of migraines. Various visual field tests done. seems stable but some qeries re sixth nerve last time...
Eye doctor always checks for raised optic or swelling as this would be serious and does need mri asap to find the cause.

I would push for mri asap so you know if there is any obvious cause that could be linked to the headaches.

See if they can hurry the mri or get a cancellation appt? You need mri sooner than visual field tests... ie get mri first.

If v bad headache vomiting etc take to a and e maybe get emergency scan .do you have the opthamologist report ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now