Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

First appointment with Rheumotologist, how did yours go?

(8 Posts)
runningouttaideas Mon 29-Feb-16 22:31:51

Finally had a GP listen to me about joint pain! Please tell me its not going to be like my previous experiences with numerous GP's which consisted of a swift glance/touch of my hand, a prescription for Naproxen and a word of warning not to let the door hit my sore arse on the way out!?!

Paddingtonthebear Mon 29-Feb-16 22:36:57

I was referred by GP (after two years!) to a consultant rheumatologist for coccyx pain. Had to wait ages for my appointment, about four months. At the appointment we had a chat about my problems and then he gave me a cortisone injection into the end of my tailbone. I was not expecting it shock.

I've just been back again a year later for a repeat injection.

runningouttaideas Mon 29-Feb-16 22:44:14

Paddington that must be a standard waiting time (2 years) because mine have been going on just over 2 1/2 years, well that's the pain on top of my other pain....long story..

Eek to the injection, hope it helped?

Paddingtonthebear Tue 01-Mar-16 07:22:37

Yes it worked for just under a year and then the pain came back. I had to go back to GP, get a referral, wait 4 months for an appointment and just last week got another injection. It's all a pain in the bum, literally grin

wonkylegs Tue 01-Mar-16 07:49:54

I can't remember exactly as my first appointment was nearly 20years ago. I was diagnosed with sero negative RA - I remember it took a while for diagnosis (lots of tests and observations), it took a lot of faffing with meds to find a combination that worked and you have to give each lot a chance to work so it is not a quick process.
I wrote down questions between appointments because otherwise I would forget to ask them. It's not necessarily a quick process but it's nice to feel like you are finally getting somewhere.
I was quite disabled by RA back then but finding a good combination of meds was like changing. I am currently pregnant and relying on steroids and Painrelief once again and remembering why my meds are so important.

runningouttaideas Wed 02-Mar-16 20:48:25

I'm sure it was paddington grin

Congratulations on the pregnancy and I'm sorry its so tough pain wise. I think I shall write things down too wonky because my memory is shocking right now. I'm just hoping that the consultant actually checks me over, I have so much crunching and burning going on but I never ever swell and my bloods always come back fine other than elevated WBC showing bacterial infection and I haven't had an infection confused.

FurbysMakeSexNoises Sat 12-Mar-16 14:04:10

Can I join the club?! I'm waiting for my rheum appt to come through and results of bloods regarding my swollen stuff and sore fingers/ thumb bases and am nervous as hell I'll get a life changing diagnosis. NSAIDs not helping much for pain but making them less stiff.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 12-Mar-16 14:31:29

First consult full examination (strip to underwear) to check every joint and look at all Vitelligo and abdominal palpating (he does this once a year). Bloods ( repeated every year) for thyroid, u&es, liver profile, b12, vitD, folate, haematology, Crp, rheumatoid factor, ANA and antibodies specific to one of my conditions. Clotting factors if there are signs my meds are affecting my clotting ( they do sometimes).
We discuss meds do I have any side effects etc.
With currently four autoimmune conditions and bordering on a fifth, he is fab. I am very resistant to steroids for a whole raft of reasons and currently we are dodging them nicely. It's been 10 years now, since I first saw him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now