Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I help myself or is surgery the only answer? Pelvic floor issues!

(2 Posts)
UndramaticPause Sun 28-Feb-16 10:32:20

I have a rectocystocele otherwise known as prolapsed bladder and bowel following the birth of my first dc 11 years ago. I've been suffering from stress incontinence and have to push on my perineum when I open my bowels ever since.

I saw the continence nurse many years ago and was referred for surgery but was told I couldn't be operated on until I could garuntee my child bearing days were over. As I was in my early 20s at the time and single I couldn't say they were so had to decline surgery.

Fast forward to now and my bladder has got worse and I'm fed up with my bowels.

What, if anything, can I do for myself?

Dh and I are ttc and have been for several unsuccessful years.

If you were me what would you do?

PollyPerky Sun 28-Feb-16 10:53:24

There have been a lot of threads here recently on this so it might be worth having a read....

All you can do is try pelvic floor exercises but to be honest they won't necessarily help if things are really over stretched, because it needs surgery. Have you tried PF exercises in earnest- eg 30 a day for 6 months?

If you still want another child then they won't do surgery. If you have another child then you should expect it to become worse- sorry sad

The temporary fix is a pessary /ring you wear then planned surgery once your family is complete. You could possibly ask for an elective section if you had another child but from what I understand even carrying the baby before delivery can make things worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now