Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Phased return to work

(6 Posts)
Milkycuddles Fri 26-Feb-16 20:54:05

Have already posted in chat but re posted here to see if I get a better response

Have NC to avoid outing myself.

I have been signed off work ill for around 6 weeks and am due back in soon. I am looking at doing a phased return but was wondering how people go about this I have spoken to work but to make it formal do I just ask my gp to put it on a fitnote? Also if anyone has done a phased return what sort of hours have they done?

Lolimax Fri 26-Feb-16 20:58:27

I was off for 5 months last year following a neurological condition. I was phased for 6 weeks and boy did I need it. I think I was 2 hours a day the first week then built up slowly. GP ticked phased return on the Fit Note and I agreed a plan with Occupational Health and HR. Ball was very much in my court.

bunny27 Fri 26-Feb-16 21:10:01

I am about to start a phased return after being off with breast cancer. It has been agreed with my manager but I have felt in control all the time. It will be a 4 week phased return starting off with 4 hours a day and only four days a week.

Milkycuddles Fri 26-Feb-16 21:18:16

Thanks for your responses, after you've had such significant amounts of time off for being so poorly I almost feel silly having a phased return after 6 weeks but I do feel it's necessary

Lolimax Fri 26-Feb-16 21:24:30

Do what's best for you, better to have phased and stay in work than go back full time and be off again. I'm a manager and I think phased is great. My DH is recovering from pneumonia and is insisting on going back full time after sick leave. He just won't listen.

shobo3 Sat 27-Feb-16 08:51:07

I'm doing a phased return just now after 6 weeks off with a pretty serious illness. My GP gave me a sick note saying I'd be fit for work with reduced hours and my work have been brilliant at letting me decide what I'm capable of. The first week I did Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings - I thought I'd be fine once I got going but it was much harder than I expected! Last week I did Monday, Tuesday mornings then had Wednesday off then managed a couple of longer days on Thursday and Friday. I'm getting better but my GP and hospital were clear that I need rest and not to push it even if I feel ok as that'll just set my recovery back.
Good luck going back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now