Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Methotrexate sore bottom? Sorry tmi

(13 Posts)
redannie118 Fri 26-Feb-16 09:18:42

Hello everyone. I started to take methotrexate 8 weeks ago 10mgs per week for systemic sclerosis. Ive had all the usual side effects, nausea, mouth sores etc and im currently waiting to recieve my dose by injection rather than pill form to help allivate side effects. I also have been experiencing another problem that I dont know if it is a side effect of the drug? Im pooing 2-3 times a day and its very acidic and as a result I have a very sore bottom (the whole length of my bottom not just anus) that feels as if it has been burnt and at times I actually have blisters. Its very painfull but I was too embarrassed to talk to my rhuematologist, so basically what I need to know is had anyone had this as a side effect, what helped it(im using Sudocreme but its not working)and if not what could it be? Many thanks

imelda3 Fri 26-Feb-16 09:42:38

That sounds awful. Could you maybe email rheumy to avoid face to face situation? Mine is late middle aged man so I know what you mean tho am sure they have heard it all before.

I have been on it for about 6 months for arthritis and it's not a side effect I've had or heard of - sorry. I have however got a hideous acne like rash all over my chin - which is nice.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

NurseRosie Fri 26-Feb-16 09:48:40

Methotrexate is a very strong drug. Abdominal issues could be a side effect but the injections may help. If the drug is not going through the gastro tract, it may reduce the issues you are having.

I decent barrier cream is needed in the meantime. Conotrane, Cavilon or Proshield are all good but you might need a prescription for them. You might be better off trying to get an app today (not sure how your surgery works) fir a nurse or dr to have a look and a chat. Alternatively, if you feel able, ask to speak to the pharmacist for advice. You may be able to take a Loperamide or something to stop you going as much.

Hope this helps and you are feeling better soon x

floppyjogger Fri 26-Feb-16 09:48:57

My Dads been on this drug for over a year now and seems to have had lots of side effects from it (mainly brain fog) but i'm not sure if this is one of them as i dont think he'd discuss it with me!

I'd email your rheumatologist like imelda suggests and see what they say.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 26-Feb-16 09:52:03

You could try metanium cream, it's what is recommended for really bad nappy rash (which essentially is what you have, sorry!) Its only a few pounds and you can get it in any pharmacy or supermarket in the baby section.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 26-Feb-16 09:52:47

Get the yellow one to treat it, then when it's cleared up the blue one is a good barrier.

Wandastartup Fri 26-Feb-16 09:59:34

Are you taking folic acid? Increasing it to every day(apart from methotrexate day) might help. Is it worth asking if you can stop till you start the injections?

wonkylegs Fri 26-Feb-16 10:01:51

Don't be embarrassed to speak to your Rhemy, they honestly need to know about side effects in order to treat you effectively. It's not a side effect that I've come across but I was lucky and didn't react badly to MTX (before I was TTC/pregnant I was on 30mg MTX with Humira) . In the meantime a barrier cream as others have said may be an effective treatment for your current difficulties. It may just be a short term effect from your system getting used to having different drugs in it but talking to your Rhemy will be your best bet.

Wandastartup Fri 26-Feb-16 10:04:26

Ps your rheumatologist will have heard of this before( & far worsesmile...)

redannie118 Fri 26-Feb-16 11:02:19

Thank you so much to you all for your help and advice I know im going to have to speak to a gp or rhuemy but was hoping to hold out till my injections started and see if it got better. I will also look into all those barrier creams funny but my mum recommended the nappy rash one smile thank you all so much again

Wandastartup Fri 26-Feb-16 13:52:19

Have you got an advice line number( answerphone run by rheum nurses) every department I've worked in has. They'll phone you back & offer advice or ask your consultant if they're not sure.

redannie118 Fri 26-Feb-16 16:23:51

Hi yes I do have a advice line number ive used it a few times in the past might be easier than talking about it face to face !blush

Wandastartup Fri 26-Feb-16 20:34:32

Good, probably worth having your bloods done too in case white count is low.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now