Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lactose intolerance - sensitive to boiled milk but not cold milk??

(4 Posts)
Silvercatowner Mon 22-Feb-16 14:55:18

I've always suspected I may be lactose intolerant - it does run in the family. So I've been doing some tracking of food and drink and the resulting very specific symptoms. It seems that lattes and cappuccinos definitely trigger symptoms, but ordinary cold non-boiled milk doesn't. Is this a thing? Does boiling milk make it less digestable?
Thanks

SnuffleGruntSnorter Mon 22-Feb-16 14:57:51

Are you sure it's not the caffeine and xanthene in the coffee upsetting your bowels?

ParsnipSoup Mon 22-Feb-16 14:58:42

Cooked milk is more digestible as the proteins are broken down. Could it be the coffee/caffeine in the hot milky drinks making you feel poorly?

Silvercatowner Mon 22-Feb-16 15:07:47

Thanks - definitely not the caffeine - I'm fine with black coffee. I stopped drinking lattes a couple of weeks ago and symptoms have completely gone. Obviously I'm not going to start again, I'm just intrigued.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now