Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rectal prolapse post-birth

(10 Posts)
GuybrushThreepwoodMP Fri 19-Feb-16 16:55:52

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I gave birth vaginally to twins last October and due to a very prolonged second pushing stage, my bottom is broken (nearly two hours between twin one and twin two). I basically now can't push out a poo without the help of suppositories, and often a thumb pressed down on the perineum. It's not a pelvic floor issue as I'm religious about those any physio has checked it out. I make sure I don't get constipated through diet. I've never had piles. But I still can't poo without the additional help. The push doesn't work and it feels blocked. My arsehole has collapsed basically. It's mostly something it can manage that way but was particularly bad during my period- I could feel it all the time.
As far as I can tell, this is permanent unless I opt for surgery. My current plan from GP is a 'wait and see if you can live with it' kind of a thing.

Ugh. I'm not sure why I'm posting. Just wondering if anyone else has been through this misery I guess. I'm mighty pissed off about it if I'm honest.

Madelinehatter Fri 19-Feb-16 16:59:22

Utter is a thread somewhere for people who have this issue. I will look for it and link you to it. It is very helpful.

Madelinehatter Fri 19-Feb-16 16:59:42

Not utter.

Twitterqueen Fri 19-Feb-16 17:00:23

I haven't, but 'wait and see' just doesn't sound right to me. This has a significant effect on your daily life. Has to be surgery surely?

RatherBeRiding Fri 19-Feb-16 17:04:01

How do you feel about surgery? I have no experience, but it sounds like something that would be very difficult "to live with" if surgery has a good success rate.

TBH I think I would be seeing a different GP who can offer a bit more in the way of clearly explained options and outcomes.

breakfastnotattiffanys Fri 19-Feb-16 17:15:50

I had this ....called a rectocele . I had a repair not 100% successful but helped the issue. 3 days in hospital and no lifting for 8 weeks. I waited til dd was 14 months before I had operation. It was hard though as I had to have someone with me ( relatives in shifts 😳)to help for the eight weeks as couldn't lift her.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Fri 19-Feb-16 18:26:55

I don't feel very good about surgery. I has a vaginal delivery to avoid surgery. I've got a 3 year old and 4 month old twins. I go back to work in a few months and I'm just getting my fitness back. I really don't want surgery unless I absolutely have to.

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Fri 19-Feb-16 18:28:40

Breakfast, would you mind telling me now about what the surgery and recovery involves (only if you wouldn't mind)? Were there any alternative treatments / physio alternatives you were aware of?

breakfastnotattiffanys Fri 19-Feb-16 18:49:36

It was called a posterior pelvic floor repair and the surgeon basically said that the wall is 'baggy' It'd lost too much of its elasticity so no physio was going to help.. they basically remove the excess and stitch it back together! It was not too terrible ... but the recovery I found hard as I couldn't lift anything for 8 weeks to allow the area to heal. This wouldn't have been a problem if I didn't have a young child to deal with (and obv you've got 3!) my recovery was achieved by my dp having 2 weeks off, my older dd's taking a week off each and various sisters/ friends covering the other weeks.mine was 13 years ago by the way. I am old

StillMedusa Sun 21-Feb-16 22:40:25

I'm in the same position.. rectocele and completely dependent of suppositories to poo as otherwise it just sits there in the saggy part. I had a hysterectomy some years ago (as everything fell down!) but they didn't do a separate repair, and tbh I don't fancy it much.. I just have suppositories on repeat. It's not idea but I am used to it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now