Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nasal polyp reassurance

(14 Posts)
Haggisfish Tue 16-Feb-16 20:30:27

Hello everyone
I'm just after some reassurance please. Saw anp today because I have recurrence of skin infection inside nostril-sore, red, bled when knocked. She had a look up and said yes, it did look red and that she thought she could also see a nasal polyp. I have antibiotic cream. Thing is, I've been having symptoms for about a year now-pain in the sinuses on that side, feels 'full', slight lack of smell, post nasal drip, headache, etc. I'm terrified it's sinus cancer as it's only on one side. Can all you lovely vipers reassure me about your similar polypy stories and symptoms? I'm 39 and an ex smoker of seven years fwiw. I also have a steroid nasal spray from last time I went-am I right in thinking if it goes down or gets smaller/better it's even more unlikely to be cancer? Thanks in advance.

Haggisfish Tue 16-Feb-16 21:00:12

Polypy bump!

TheSpottedZebra Tue 16-Feb-16 22:24:19

It won't be cancer, that's really really rare.
But polyps and sinus issues are quite common.

Have you had anxiety about health before?

Haggisfish Tue 16-Feb-16 22:41:04

Yes, lots. I know really I'm anxious about work and it manifests itself as worrying about my health. I'm much better now than I was ten years ago, but am going to see gp about increased anxiety as well as work is awful at the moment.
I do find reassurance on a forum like this helps me and calms me down, which is why I post-it is a coping strategy. I don't google what I am worried about (so I haven't googled sinus cancer but did look at nhs polyps to reassure myself about symptoms) and don't look at papers and magazines that love rare illnesses. The problem is, I did read a lot of those about fifteen years ago when I first started fretting and I can't forget what I read then. Sorry-turned into rather a long post!

Haggisfish Tue 16-Feb-16 22:41:43

Italic fail there-not supposed to be a strike through. And thank you for your reply!

Freeriver Tue 16-Feb-16 22:59:07

Nasal polyps are not uncommon. A nuisance yes, but benign growths on mucus membrane, and I think your symptoms are typical.
Do try not to worry (easier said than done I know). They can be removed surgically and steroid sprays prescribed.
My DF and DS have both had them.

Haggisfish Tue 16-Feb-16 23:05:53

Thank you-am feeling reassured enough to get to sleep (hopefully).

currantcake Wed 17-Feb-16 00:18:43

My DH has got a nasal polyp, one nostril was permanately blocked. He actually shone a torch up it himself and saw it. He got a steroid spray off the doctor and it appears to have shrunk it. I think you can get them in just one nostril buy the doctor said there might have been a very small one up the other but he couldn't see it.

Haggisfish Wed 17-Feb-16 06:35:55

Thank you-that is exactly the sort of thing that reassures me! I slept quite well and you all helped.

maggiso Wed 17-Feb-16 13:25:32

I has nasal polyps - on both sides but only the one on the right side caused facial pain for me. The right one was viisble to my GP (with a torch) but the left one, being smaller was not seen till I had other tests. So I think asymmetry is common too. Agree polyps are very common. Hope you got to sleep.

Haggisfish Wed 17-Feb-16 13:53:14

I did, thanks. My nose is less sore today as the antibiotic cream clears the infection. I really do appreciate the reassurance-I'm actually quite excited at the thought of getting it removed actually-I'll see what gp says.

MrsPatrickDempsey Wed 17-Feb-16 23:02:22

Hi. I had bi lateral nasal polyps and one side was much worse; permanently blocked, pain in my face etc. I had a deviated septum which caused smaller nasal passage on that side. Had miserable symptoms for about 2 years. Had endless oral and steroid sprays and antibiotics before I eventually had a ct scan which showed that my sinuses were blocked too. Had polypectony, endoscopic sinus clear out and my septum straightened coming up to 2 years ago. Best thing ever!

Haggisfish Wed 17-Feb-16 23:05:54

I'm wondering if I may have a deviated septum, too-I've had a few nose cracks over the years (thanks ds!). Thanks again.

Haggisfish Wed 17-Feb-16 23:59:27

Ah feck. Can't sleep. Am fretting! Had a look up my nose tonight and can see right hand side looks quite red on both sides of nostril and definitely a smaller clear diameter than the left side. Can't see anything that looks like a pearly tear drop. Am hyper aware of blocked feeling and increasingly sore head. Some of it will be tension I know. Pah. I'm utterly knackered as well. Will phone gp tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now