Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallbladder removal - Questions

(14 Posts)
SlapACatFuckADuck Mon 15-Feb-16 21:30:47

So I have 5+ 1.2cm gallstones so I need to have my gallbladder removed so was wondering if anyone can answer some questions?

- Did you have to stick to a special diet before the surgery?
- How long where you in hospital for my GP said up to a week for keyhole?
- Did you have to follow a special diet afterwards? Someone said a liquid diet but I don't like soup..
- Has it effected your day to day life?

anotherBadAvatar Mon 15-Feb-16 21:36:17

A week?! Day case more like (keyhole).

Can't offer much more help for the other questions though.

SlapACatFuckADuck Mon 15-Feb-16 21:40:54

Apparently so! I was out within 24 hours with both my sections so I wouldn't be in there that long lol

Becks4Saints Mon 15-Feb-16 21:44:52

I had mine out last year, no special diet before or after. Some people do find they can't eat lots of rich food.

Normally by Keyhole and I stayed overnight purely as there was no one at home after the anaesthetic just to keep an eye on me, otherwise I would have gone home same day with pain killers.

Cocacolaandchocolate Mon 15-Feb-16 21:48:58

I had mine out. On a day surgery in November. No special diet but if i eat something that doesn't agree then I certainly know about it.

MarvinKMooney Mon 15-Feb-16 21:50:30

I stayed overnight (keyhole here too) ... but only because a lovely nurse realised a two year old at home wasn't conducive to a good night's sleep!

I only had a week or so between diagnosis and operation so no time for a special diet such. I did go fat free during that time though.

I didn't go on any special diet afterwards. I was a bit sore for a few days afterwards so didn't really feel like eating much. They pump your tummy with gas to inflate it and that can take a couple of days to pass.

I've had no long term effects from the surgery. I'm just pleased I will never have pain from gallstones ever again. No regrets in the slightest.

Girlfriend36 Mon 15-Feb-16 21:54:59

I was in over night after the operation and then home the next day.

I stuck to a low fat diet before the op to minimise the chance of attacks, I found after the op if I eat too much fat or rich food I get diarrhoea! Otherwise you eat totally normally.

It hasn't affected my day to day life smile

BettyBooboid Mon 15-Feb-16 21:55:50

I had it 4 years ago. Keyhole surgery.

Wasn't advised to have any special diet beforehand, but by that stage iI was unable to tolerate fatty or spicy food, meat, dairy.

I stayed in overnight, so about 24 hours in hospital all in all. I was actually due to just have day surgery, but was woozy after the anaestethtic so was kept in just as a precaution.

No special diet afterwards.

My recovery was quick and my symptoms disappeared as soon as I had the surgery. I have been right as rain ever since grin.

djini Mon 15-Feb-16 21:57:36

I had mine out a couple of years back. It was very inflamed and eating any day at all caused pain so for the months leading up to the op I had a zero fat diet (or at least less than 9g/day, no more than 3g in any sitting otherwise I'd be in agony). Admitted to hospital at 11am, op at 1pm, stayed overnight (and felt rubbish, but that was mostly the anaesthetic) and back home mid morning the next day. No special diet afterwards, though it took a few weeks to reintroduce rich food again without it, um, passing through dramatically. Been totally fine since then. So glad it's gone.

djini Mon 15-Feb-16 21:58:44

Eating any fat not day.

Oh, and I had keyhole surgery too. Scars are practically invisible.

Only1scoop Mon 15-Feb-16 22:02:08

My dad is 80 and recently had his removed. Key hole surgery out same day and was back riding his bike 10 miles within a week....

Just to stick to a healthy diet as before

Pickofthepops Tue 16-Feb-16 21:03:26

My mum had this done and exactly same as Bettybooboid - a doddle, and it was one massive gallstone. Good luck :-)

Wolpertinger Wed 17-Feb-16 20:49:14

Keyhole surgery will be daycase although at the end of the day I felt they were unbelievably mean making me go home. I needed my mum to look after me and barely moved for 2 days.

Although on day 5 I flew alone to Germany on Easyjet not recommended, I didn't ask because I knew they'd say no grin

They will give you a note for 2 weeks of work. I could have gone back after 10 but had no intention of doing so

No special diet afterwards but beford hand I was practically fat free to avoid attacks. I built up fat slowly after - I only have problems with fat now if I have a very heavy cream pudding eg homemade gooseberry fool doesn't stop me eating it though which is easily solved with some Gaviscon.

Be ready for being very constipated if you take co-codamol for pain relief after the operation.

paap1975 Fri 18-Mar-16 11:06:15

If you develop chronic diarrhoea, you can be prescribed a bile acid sequestrant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now