Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please help me get over sugar addiction

(17 Posts)
Shnook Mon 15-Feb-16 12:59:21

Am really good at exercising, find it quite easy to motivate myself and luckily up til now, that's been enough to keep me relatively slim. However after 2 kids I have a bit of a belly and I know that exercise alone won't shift it. Problem is I am a total sugar addict. I have never dieted in my life as I just don't have the will power - cakes, chocs , puds etc are my downfall. I need to try to cut down but I find it so hard - any kind of regime that even feels the tiniest bit like I'm depriving myself just doesn't work as i'm so weak with food.

So, I'm trying to do little things to stop me scoffing like a pig. These probably sound really pathetic but so far I've managed to cut down from 2 to 1 sugar in tea - I've been doing this for 5 months and I still don't like the taste but hey ho. Also, rather than choc bars I've started drinking those low calorie hot chocs (about 38 call a cup). Now I know they're probably full of crap and not exactly good for me but I'm assuming they're better than a Mars Bar. Any other tips on some baby steps I can take to cut down the white stuff??

MoonDuke Mon 15-Feb-16 13:13:40

I used to be totally dependent on chocolate, biscuits and cake.

The only way I could stop was cold turkey. If I tried to drop down, I still was eating sweet flavoured food and it just made me want more and more.

I got a tummy bug so didn't eat for 2 days and decided not to go back onto sweet food and it worked (not that I'm recommending getting D&V!)

I cut out fruit juice too. And when I wanted to snack I ate crisps or cheese. Gradually (within a few weeks) I wanted fewer snacks and my taste buds adapted and I no longer craved sweet food.

I still have unopened packets of biscuits in the cupboard that I just don't want to eat shock

AnotherEmma Mon 15-Feb-16 13:16:57

You could try the No S Diet, which means you cut out sugar and sweet things (as well as snacks and seconds) during the week, but allow yourself treats at the weekend.

You could also look up the book "I Quit Sugar" which I think has a step by step plan for quitting sugar gradually?

I have a sweet tooth myself so I sympathise!

MackerelOfFact Mon 15-Feb-16 13:27:42

I agree that cutting it out totally does adjust your taste buds and stop cravings. What is it exactly that you crave? Is it always the sugar, or is there a texture - creamy, smooth, crunchy, spongy, cold - that you find yourself craving too?

Peanut butter and coconut oil are both good to impart a creaminess and slight sweetness to things without adding sugar. Cocoa powder and dark chocolate will also give that chocolatey hit without the sugar hit.

Chromium supplements are also supposed to ease sugar cravings (at least the non-psychological ones) and I've found them moderately effective.

I managed to go for about 6 weeks before Christmas without touching anything containing sugar as an ingredient (including fruit) and it was surprisingly easy and I felt amazing - but I really need to get on it again, because I'm terrible at the moment, chocolate, desserts and biscuits nearly every day. blush

Shnook Mon 15-Feb-16 14:01:00

Thanks all. Good question Mackerel - yes it's not just the sweetness, it's the chewy, doughy, sticky loveliness too.

Cold turkey sounds really scary but think you're right, if I allow myself a little, I'll just go overboard, I know it.

Any yummy substitutes you can recommend?

PollyPerky Mon 15-Feb-16 14:42:36

I am almost no sugar but do get cravings.

I keep a supply of juicy apples at hand- low in calories and high in fibre (but don't substitute with high sugar fruit too much!) Also plain greek yoghurt and allow myself half a teaspoon of honey drizzled on top.

Also distraction techniques when you have the craving- like phoning a friend, cleaning your teeth, doing some housework...anything to take you away from the food.

Have you tried just not buying any of it?

i know it sounds simplistic but it might be worth a go- then making a home made treat once a week if you really have to? (but not a huge portion!)

Thelwell Mon 15-Feb-16 14:51:27

Low carb boot camp thread will sort you out, OP.

Give it 2 weeks and you won't look back.

Very easy and you can console yourself with plenty of goodies like steak, bacon and eggs and cheese instead of cake.

By the way you'll lose your weight, but more importantly will break your addict ion through stabilizing insulin levels and "re-educate" your palate. No more constant low level cravings or hunger.

I eat this way 6 days out of 7 (target weight reached, no mum-tum now). I don't feel deprived at all. Sugar addiction for me was awful. Good luck.

Shnook Mon 15-Feb-16 15:24:37

Polly- I do try not to buy it and you're right, that's probably the best way!

Thelwall - where's the low carb bootcamp thread?? Gives me hope to hear you lost your mum tum!

PollyPerky Mon 15-Feb-16 16:05:05

I find the best way is not to buy them but then maybe once week make something - eg a fruit crumble, or some flapjacks, or scones (low sugar anyway) as a 'treat'. But don't make a huge amount or you will make them spin out over several days. being 'good' for 6 days of the week is fine. You will then find anything too sweet tastes awful.

Def give up the sugar in tea etc- that's a no-no.

I gave it up years ago but went down from 1 spoonful to half then a quarter then none in about 2 weeks.

Thelwell Mon 15-Feb-16 19:58:17

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/low_carb_bootcamp/2571427-Week-5-Low-Carb-Bootcamp-the-end-of-part-one

Does that link work?

Jump on, read up and ask your questions. Very helpful group. Spreadsheet in post 1...click in and look at tabs on allowed foods.

No measuring. Just stick to the rules.

I had a comfort eating session tonight as am premenstrual, low-carb-style = packet of cream, whipped plus bag of mixed pistachios, hazelnuts and cashews. Stuffed now and fully comforted grin but I'm on the long term way of eating like this and no more weight to lose. The first 2 weeks of boot camp no nuts.

There's a whole low carbs boot camp thread section with amazing recipe thread to inspire you.

Please check it out...I think for 2 weeks of trying you will know if this works for you. Good luck flowers

Shnook Mon 15-Feb-16 21:05:52

Yes it works - brilliant, thank you!

Kirriemuir Wed 17-Feb-16 09:01:18

Low carb boot camp is good. As is a read through of Zoe Harcombes books! I eat minimal sugar. Just a bit of honey in my yoghurt of a morning.

trinity0097 Wed 17-Feb-16 13:46:35

I cut it out totally and also all carbs, just eat fat and you will feel full. Reach for a slice of Brie or peanuts if you need to snack. I've lost nearly 4 stone in a year doing this and can easily walk past cake etc now - before I would have been first in the queue!

Clara101 Wed 17-Feb-16 18:46:37

Hi ladies, I just gave up sugar for lent. Generally reasonably healthy but had chocolate/pudding/cake in there every day. Now got horrendous headache. Does anyone know if likely to be withdrawal and how long it lasts if so.

Hope your changes going well OP!

Kirriemuir Wed 17-Feb-16 19:03:30

Yes the headache will be there for a couple of days. Keep going and drink lots of water.

Shnook Wed 17-Feb-16 21:39:09

Oooo 'eck - I've had a look through the thread.... I seriously can't even eat fruit???? How do you do it???

Kirriemuir Wed 17-Feb-16 22:34:07

It's easy. I eat berries and can't wait for decent Scottish strawberries in the summer but I don't miss fruit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now