Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gynae/Menstrual problem and overdue smear and outdated mirena (bit graphic sorry)

(6 Posts)
FeelingStupidNow Sun 14-Feb-16 15:28:11

Bloody hell. I'm in a mess and it's all my own stupid fault.

I'm 45 and in good health other than being very overweight. I have a lot of body conscious / self esteem issues because of my weight.

Anyway, I normally don't struggle with periods. They've been regular and alternate between light and heavier flows. I came on yesterday which was several weeks overdue. It was a pretty heavy flow and I wore a tampon and pad to bed but leaked - not too badly. I went to bed very late with intention of getting up early as I sensed I would need to change. I've never had to do this before.

This morning, I'd changed tampon an hour earlier and I got a sense I needed to change again but I didn't realise it was going to be urgent. I stood up to go in there and all of a sudden it just poured out of me. I shouted to my DH to bring a towel and I felt my body expel the tampon and a huge clot - it was like a contraction. It was about 2 tablespoons worth of clot. There was lots of unclotted blood just pouring from me too. I was so upset as it happened over our new sofa and cream carpet. I got to the loo and had to sit there for a bit while it dripped out of me. I showered and then an hour later I felt it happening again. I got to the loo that time but again it felt like a contraction expelling a large clot. It's slowed down now but I have period pain. Is this possibly I'm starting the menopause? I'm definitely not pregnant.

The reason I'm so cross with myself is that about 10 years ago I had to have some treatment for early cervical changes on a smear. It was very uncomfortable and I had a lot of bleeding when I had treatment or subsequent smears. I went for a smear some years ago but I bled and the result was unclear. Same happened again and it got to the point that I couldn't bear to go back. What if this episode today is related to a cervical problem? It's my own fault for not going back.

I had a mirena put in some years ago too. It should have been removed by now but again because of my body conscious issues and the discomfort I have on smears I haven't been to get it sorted out. What if this has caused a problem? What if it's got lost or embedded in me?

I could kick myself. Has anyone else experienced problems like this? Be gentle with me. It can be brutal on here and I don't need a lecture! I'm expecting that from the GP when I go. Sorry for the long post.

574ejones Sun 14-Feb-16 16:16:23

Could it be that your Mirena is at the end of its life, hence the much heavier period? When I had mine put in, the Dr said you would be able to tell when it begins to stop working as periods will resume or become heavier. Also, periods change with age, and you may be peri menopausal.

I'm sure that you haven't caused this problem, but you will need to try to overcome some of your issues and get checked out by a professional.

FeelingStupidNow Sun 14-Feb-16 16:29:45

Yes I do need to get checked out. Thanks for replying. My Mirena is old now and should have come out ages ago. I just left it. Idiot that I am.

Zhabr Sun 14-Feb-16 16:41:01

Hi, I had exactly the same periods several years ago-lot's of clots. Since I was fitted with Mirena, periods just stopped completely. I changed Mirena after 5 years to the new one and was told that the old one was fully functional and In VGC. I suggest you go back to the Dr ASAP and check it out.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sun 14-Feb-16 19:28:09

I have always been lucky with my periods, no pain and not too heavy. But at the age of 47 I had one where I could not get of the toilet, it was like a tap had turned on for an hour.
After that I began to get very irregular cycles so was obviously the start of perimenopause.
My mother had horrendous flooding at the same age. So given your age and your Mirena being at the end of its life you have probably entered that stage.
Pop to your doctor and get some reassurance and maybe have another Mirena

PollyPerky Sun 14-Feb-16 22:46:43

If you are behind with smears and having heavy bleeding you must see your GP asap.

The bleeding is probably hormonal - body fat raises your levels of oestrogen so this in itself may account for heavier bleeding. However, being overweight is also one risk factor for endometrial cancer so you really must get checked out.

Your GP ought to refer you for a scan to see what's going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now