Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

recital bleeding

(17 Posts)
Castasunder Sat 13-Feb-16 12:59:42

I had spots of bright red blood when I went to the toilet last night. Have moved my bowels again this morning and more spots. Not lots but it's there- and it's bright red. I'm worried sick about bowel cancer.
I'm 37, no abnormal bowel habits but would say it's definitely been looser recently and I've been dizzy for the last week. I've also had a dull nagging pain in my lower left abdomen for 3 days which I just thought was wind.

Littleallovertheshop Sat 13-Feb-16 13:04:48

Get a gp appointment on as soon as you can. No one on here can tell you what it is or isn't but your GP can help and sort whatever needs sorted.

Don't worry too much, it doesn't help things either way. Have you got a person you can talk to for some hand holding and distraction? Go out for a coffee and try not to think about things which haven't happened yet. Unmumsnetty hugs for you flowers

VagueIdeas Sat 13-Feb-16 13:10:39

IIRC bright red is a "good" sign because that means it's fresh blood coming from low down - highly likely to be piles or a fissure. Are you constipated and do you strain for bowel movements?

You should obviously get checked, but try not to panic.

duckyneedsaclean Sat 13-Feb-16 13:20:34

With fresh blood it is most likely to be piles or a fissure.

Please do see your gp soon to get checked over, but try not to worry too much.

The gp will likely order blood tests and do a rectal exam. The rectal exam is nothing to worry about, usually one finger is inserted, and a lot of lubrication used. May be slightly uncomfortable. If you can consciously relax, it will be much more comfortable.

Hope that helps.

Wolpertinger Sat 13-Feb-16 13:22:48

Bright red blood straight after opening your bowels at your age is most likely to be piles.

However go and see your GP.

Castasunder Sat 13-Feb-16 13:24:23

Thanks so much. I wouldn't say I've strained this week much. The weird thing is, I had a bout of loose stools last night when I noticed the blood- but because I had been drinking (out for wine and dinner with friends) , I didn't think anything of it. (Alcohol affects my stools this way). It was seeing the blood that terrified me .

Castasunder Sat 13-Feb-16 13:25:37

Could I have piles without ever seeing them or having no signs of them?

DrGoogleWillSeeYouNow Sat 13-Feb-16 13:28:09

As ducky said, it's more than likely piles or a fissure caused by constipation - believe it or not you can be constipated but still have loose stools.

Definitely a trip to the GP to put your mind at rest, try not to worry too much about it over the weekend. flowers

duckyneedsaclean Sat 13-Feb-16 13:30:56

Yes, you can - I found out I had piles this way. Just small, not protruding ones!

Castasunder Sat 13-Feb-16 13:39:38

Ok that feels promising. Thanks

Just noticed my title- 'recital bleeding'
Hahasmile

Wolpertinger Sat 13-Feb-16 13:46:55

Yes, it's only massive piles that distend outside the rectum. Most of them are tiny, inside the rectum and you can't feel them at all.

If you have ever been pregnant or constipated for any period of time (it doesn't even have to be recent) it's probably piles.

DrGoogleWillSeeYouNow Sat 13-Feb-16 13:48:02

I did have a chuckle at your title, but didn't want to point it out grin.

Fugghetaboutit Sat 13-Feb-16 13:52:07

Please go to the gp and don't ignore it. Better to be safe. My aunt died in her 40s from bowel cancer as she ignored bleeding and other signs for too long.

Castasunder Sat 13-Feb-16 14:05:09

I won't ignore it. It's not in my (slightly hypochondriac) nature to ignore things like this. I'm supposed to be on a fun family day out today and I'm worried sick now:/

Littleallovertheshop Sat 13-Feb-16 14:09:46

Casta - I know it doesn't help to say don't worry about it but do try to put it to the back of your mind. As pp have said it is far more likely to be piles than anything else and often that's the only sign of them. However, do go see your GP and if it is piles and persists do keep an eye on it and go back to be sure.

angelpuffs Fri 26-Feb-16 14:45:03

Hello cat. Did you go tongue go about this problem? What was the outcome? I'm asking because I'm the same age as you and had blood this morning in my stool. It was bright red. Went to the GP who said they couldn't feel any piles etc and he's referred me to a gastroenterologist. I'm terrified.
Can anyone help? X

angelpuffs Fri 26-Feb-16 16:10:01

Meant to say "go to the GP"- not tongue...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now