Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bleeding after mirena insertion

(7 Posts)
Gingernut81 Fri 12-Feb-16 22:36:02

I had a mirena coil fitted last Wednesday. My doctor raved about it & as the pill seemed to exacerbate my depression I thought I'd try it. It took quite a while for them to stop the bleeding immediately after insertion, apparently due to the fact that I gave birth fairly recently (4 1/2 months ago). When they were going through everything they said I'd have spotting for a few months which I was ok with. However I've bled continuously since having it fitted, period like bleeding not what I'd call spotting. I feel really rubbish about this as the point of having it fitted was to be able to resume a sex life with DH - there's no chance of it happening at the moment though!

Is this normal? And if it is how long should I expect it to last?

On a whingey note I'm even more peeved as DH booked me a spa day tomorrow so won't be able to use any of the facilities as you can't use a tampon for 6 weeks following insertion sad

SquidgeyMidgey Fri 12-Feb-16 23:12:51

I bled almost constantly for 4 months then it just stopped. My friend had a few weeks of spotting before it stopped. No one size fits all answer I'm afraid. Put your feet up tomorrow and enjoy the time off.

Aquamarine70 Sat 13-Feb-16 13:47:27

I had mine in for 3 1/2 months & had continual spotting & bleeding with clots. I had greasy skin & hair, headaches & permanently PMT. I had to get it taken out.

PollyPerky Sat 13-Feb-16 17:23:54

I had a copper coil and bled for 3 weeks then a period then bled again. I went to have it removed and was told it was already half expelled- it had been a difficult insertion!
Just mentioning as you might want them to take a look if it carries on...........

Gingernut81 Sat 13-Feb-16 21:12:22

I've got to go back for a check up in 3 weeks so will see what they say. I must say I'm regretting it, I wanted control of my body again not to feel like the mess I have done since child birth. Why do men have it so easy?! Bless, DH offered to have the snip after we have another!

WhoAteAllTheDinosaurs Tue 16-Feb-16 07:45:03

4-6 months of bleeding here... But then it suddenly settled down and had very light periods after that.

Thegreatunslept Tue 16-Feb-16 08:05:45

I bled and spotted for about 2 months after getting coil in. I have it in 10 months now and get a light 3 day period every 29 days. You need to give it a chance to settle down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now