Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

It looks like my medical history is incomplete and now I've fallen through a crack. Now worried!

(4 Posts)
chicaguapa Fri 12-Feb-16 22:08:31

I moved house and area 5.5 years ago so I changed doctors. I recently received a letter inviting me in for a smear test which I went to today.

According to my records my last smear test was 6 years ago! shock I asked how often you're supposed to have them and the nurse said every 3 years. I definitely haven't received and ignored an invitation in the last 3 years but I know I haven't been for one since I moved. I'm not sure what triggered this invitation. It sounds like I've come up on a 3 year reminder, despite missing out 3 years ago.

Also I haven't replaced my coil in all this time either as, again, I was waiting for a reminder letter from the GP. My records didn't even say I have one in so I don't know which one it is. DS is 11 and I've had two so I'd say this one has probably been in for 6 years.

Is this normal? Presumably I need to ask for my records to be updated so they're complete? I can't believe they didn't know I have a coil in. hmm

I'm now worried about my smear results but also extremely relieved that I haven't fallen pregnant. It's ruined DH's weekend though. wink

dementedpixie Sat 13-Feb-16 18:24:44

I had my coil inserted at a family planning clinic so the gp wouldn't know about it unless i told them. I was given a card with the insertion date on as they said o was responsible for knowing when it was to be replaced and a reminder wouldn't be sent out

dementedpixie Sat 13-Feb-16 18:28:11

I have just checked my wee card.- 1 year left

BelaLug0si Sun 14-Feb-16 19:38:10

Ask the surgery to check that you are correctly registered at your current surgery on the Exeter system. This is where the screening results are recorded, and the invitations sent from.
When you changed surgeries, when you register with the new GP, the exeter system is also updated. If this record wasn't updated, then you may have been unregistered with a GP, at which point you wouldn't be invited for screening, as you have to be registered with a GP to be invited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now